- Link 2
To get started in ICR2 track editing, first download the Tutorial Studio, which is a comprehensive step-by-step guide written by Tjerk. Since it was posted in 2008, there have been further discoveries and clarifications that were made in the forums. We will catalog those in this wiki.
As of 2020, Tjerk is leading an effort to gather info and update the tutorial.
Wolf_pd's list of tracks that haven't been done yet as of June 2020.
Different track editors share how they set up their workflow.
- In Posts #43 and #54 of this thread, Checkpoint10 describes step-by-step the investigation a version of Rio that has issues
CowtownBob posts the PACK and UNPACK utilities.
Tjerk posts his MRON utility in Post #23 which can be used to simplify the deletion of the MRON section of a 3DO file in order to prepare the file for N2 to ICR2 conversion.
A copy of Winmip 1 which is needed to convert some files that Winmip 2 does not support.
The Last Chance Tools can convert PMP files better than Winmip.
Pavel shares some beginner's tips, including the files that go into a track and how to draw a track in SGE.
Eddie500 shares a tip on making banked corners in SGE. Post #70
In this thread, fab4 cannot get TRKSG to work and the community weighs in on the solution.
The Tutorial skipped over the .mrk file as its purpose was unknown at the time. It is now known that .mrk is used to apply textures to walls (such as advertising).
Relevant forum posts:
- Dennis reposts Pavel's guide to coding 3D files by hand. Essential reading for those learning the technique.
- Checkpoint10 discusses a 3D problem with Pavel starting from Post #43
- Dennis troubleshoots 3DO problems with the community starting on Post #20.
- Pavel discovered the solution for cars and walls being seen through hills.
- Pavel's guide to BSP functions
- The Tutorial has wrong information about the cameras. Pavel has posted some correct information in forum post #25 in this thread.
- Fastwalker and Mistycreek try to figure out camera editing, with examples of values from default ICR2 tracks.
- Checkpoint10 posted a Python tool that generates camera files from csv files.
Menu/track selection screens
Pavel discusses in Post #30 the different files in the track.dat that are used by various versions of the game.
Dennis figures out why his AI is too fast in slow corners and posts a solution in this thread.
Checkpoint10 describes what the fifth parameter of WIND and WIND2 does.
MIP files and graphics
A description of the ICR2 color palette