To Wolf, Oli, blackcat and anybody else working on GTP carsets
I was just playing with the GTP paintkit again. I was able to make a template that works with the Reynard paintkit. In order to make the best use of this tool, I would like to add to the GTP 3dos the 4 colors that are not currently in use and make a couple of other changes. This means that the new painkit will only work on the edited carset and any carsets based on it. The advantages are:
1) compatibility with ICR2 manager,
2) more accurate underbody painting, since there will be less polygons sharing the same colors,
3) shadows and rear wing strut that don't change color with the paintkit,
4) ability to paint the windshield header.
5) added parts to the GTP carshape as part of the editing (example: mirrors with body color on the front and light blue on the back, like blackcat's LMPbeta).

In order to make the older GTP carsets compatible with the new paintkit, all the edited 3dos in each carset will need to be edited which is a tedious but doable project. This should include the 1986, 1998 and 2000 carsets on this site and any carsets that you may be working on.

What do you guys think?
Ed
Don't let ICR2/CART Racing die!
Go for it! Wink2
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
sounds like a good killer idea ED !!!!!!!!!1
Keep Honking..............................

I'M Still Reloading........................
The template is finished. I tried to rearrange all the 3do parts to place the template numbers in order but it would have required way too much time. I ended up repainting some polygons so that there are 22 different colors (0-15 and 17-22) available in the underbody. I'm still unable to get the template color 16 to work because it is assigned in this set to nonpaintable parts. I think that, if I can eliminate the color on all the car parts, #16 can be rescued, but I'm not sure. With 120 parts to check, I'm not sure if it is worthwhile.

I'm working on my GTPCars carset first. I finished redoing the Roadcar and Indycar 3dos with all the parts that go with them. I now have to edit the damage parts. Once all the parts are done, I'll repaint all the underbodies with the new paintkit. One thing that I did was eliminate the confusing frame (visible in 3doedit but invisible in the game) that surrounds the GTP car. I think that this is a remnant from the original N1 carset that was used to create the GTP shape.

I'm hoping that all the old GTP carsets on the archives here and those being worked on are mostly stock with the only editing being the moving of points to reshape car and the addition of the mirrors. If so, converting the parts to the new template should not be that difficult.
Ed
Here's a quick update. I started working on the damage model. What a mess!* This is based on the N1-style carset so it includes an extra damage.3do file (renamed to GTPcar.3do) which was pretty confusing in the beginning. Some of the car parts are linked to the droadcar/dindycar 3dos and others are linked to GTPcar.3do. I have created new damaged rear wings for the road and speedway versions of the carset. I'm trying to find out why the damage model has so many transparencies to see if I can fix them, but I'm not too hopeful. With the holidays approaching, I may have to drop this project for a couple of weeks. I'll post progress shots soon.

*This was not meant as a dig to Marc Nelson and John Welkener. They did an excellent job with what was available to them back in the day.
Ed
Here's a comparison of the original GTP car shape and what I currently have:

The changes are as follows:
1) Elimination of the N1-style "frame". This does not show in the game anyway and tends to obscure details when using 3doEdit.
2) Improved rearview mirror. This was added in a previous version of the carset. I used blackcat's idea of adding an extra set of polygos to make the mirror change from body color when seen from the front to light blue when seen from behind to simulate a real mirror.
3) Addition of new polygon colors for the windshield header, mirror and front fenders. These match the colors used in the Reynard paintkit. Rescued #16 on the template.

Not seen in this graphic:
4) Redone damage model with some improvements. The transparencies have not been fixed. I don't expect to be able to be able to fix the transparencies.

This is the template for the Reynard paintkit:

I'm going to do a v2 version of the GTPcars carset first (after redoing the underbody 3dos to match the new template). After that, I'll most likely do the GTP1986 carset.
Ed
Ed, prepare for a special notion in next seasons IIRS Endurance Series.

"The Edwin Roman 500 at Elkhart Lake" Wink2
Wow, thanks! So you guys are still doing GTP races? I thought that it was just CCWS and IRL leagues.
Ed
We have just completed a dirt sprintcar event in the IIRS Smiley And it was great !
We did a one-off event around Daytona RC this season which attracted 15 teams with a total of 40 drivers. So we decided in 2007 we will do 5 endurance races.