Now we are going legends
Can anyone help me with a rather small edit. Some of the Can-Am cars look a bit like the GTP cars, but would need a bit of editing. How should I do this and what should I do to keep the template in check and paintable?
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
I'm assuming that you are talking about the open cockpit GTP-like Can-Am cars. If you look at the speedway version of the GTP1998 carset in the Archives section of CRHQ, it is an attempt to make an open cockpit prototype car. I remember trying to do my own version of an open cockpit prototype car years ago. A word of warning, if you move the windshield header around, it distorts the entire car's mip mapping. So, to go from an open cockpit GTP to a Can-Am, you would have to remove the windshield, which will bring up the header editing problem, again.
Ed
Don't let ICR2/CART Racing die!
this is my tentative to convert the gtp carshape from the close-cockpit to the open-cockpit. I try to do that for painting a combined ALMS/LMES/LeMans24H carset and how you can see the shape have some transparency issue that I don't know how correct. for now I didn't painted any cars as first I want to resolve the problem.
if someone know how I can correct them this can be a good start for a CanAm car and maybe an ALMS/LMES/LeMans24H set.

.rar   lmpbeta.rar (Size: 89.34 KB / Downloads: 35)

also for N1 there is a carset called Rolex24 with more than one shape and it have both close-cockpit and a open-cockpit version of the gtp car, but again with some transparency issue
[Image: blackcatindycars3ro.gif]
EdwRom Wrote:I'm assuming that you are talking about the open cockpit GTP-like Can-Am cars. If you look at the speedway version of the GTP1998 carset in the Archives section of CRHQ, it is an attempt to make an open cockpit prototype car.

When I read this I was really wondering whether I missed something. Then I noted, speedway version.... By the way, you do realise that from 2008 of Le Mans will be raced by closed tops only?
i always thought that if i ever got into carshapes, the 1st i would want to do would be a M8x McLaren. so can-am YES!!
blackcat:
I really like what you did with the mirrors in this set. I think that I can add another set of polygons to the lfwing1.3do so we can have the same effect on the regular GTP carsets. BTW, what did you do with the windshield header?

I'm still working on the new paintkit for the GTP-like carsets. Since it requires a partial repaint of the car pieces to rearrange the underbody colors on the cars, maybe you and Sander will like to wait for it so that all the new carsets work with the new paintkit. Let me know.
Ed
Wolf, I have heard about the new LeMans rules. I know that there is quite a rift between those that think that top level prototypes must have open cockpits and those that prefer the GTP-style cars. I myself like the close cockpits, although the Ca-Am Chaparrals and Porsches 917 were also great looking.

blackcat, thanks for posting the LMP beta carset. I have just added the extra polygons to the GTP lfwing1.3do and tested it in my GTPcars carset. It is nice to have mirrors that are apintable when seen from the front and light blue from behind.

I wish that editing the rest of this car was as easy. I think that the biggest transparency problem with the open cockpit GTPs is that the bulkhead (?) section was created by flipping the roof downward to make it vertical. Since the roof is always "on", it shows when seeing the car from all angles. Maybe (big maybe) I can edit the roadcar/indycar 3dos and fix this transparency.
Ed
Ed all the I work I do is with the 3doedit editing the single 3dos that make the car moving the polygons point by point, all the polygons on the original gpt shape are on my edit, and for the mirrors is a combination of a pair of polygons from the roadcar.3do file and a pair of polygons from lfwing1.3do.

for the transparency issue you centered he problem! I think the right way to fix it is edit the flavors, but I didn't know how to do it and honestly I didn't understand well how the flavors works.
[Image: blackcatindycars3ro.gif]
Hello folks,

I will be looking through my archives: Longer time ago I started with two cartypes from the 1971/1972 film "Le Mans" (cool) starring Steve McQueen (cool).
I "made" the Porsche 917 and the Ferrari, umm, 512 (?)...
Like in the film there are four Ferraris and three Porsches. The Porsches in the famous "Gulf" paintscheme and the Ferraris in classic, traditional... umm? Pink!
Yes, pink! Ferraris are known to be pink.

Right?
Wasn't the car turned into pig?