Logo
Current time: 01-19-2020, 11:45 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Info Needed - IRP
11-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Info Needed - IRP
I'm planning on converting the Indianapolis Raceway Park GPL beta track then adding enough detail to make it a worthy addition to our USAC track pack. But I am having trouble finding some good information. I do not even know where the pits are located Sad Who can help me find some good pictures/videos/etc. Who knows where to look for that kind of stuff ? To be clear I am talking about the roadcourse how it was in use during the 60's/70's.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2006, 09:04 PM
RE: Info Needed - IRP
I have quite some stuff available. I will send it over on monday. I'll also send a beta version I did a while ago, it has the correct pitentrance and -exit.

IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Awesome, thanks. Any sort of info is much appreciated.

In the meanwhile I did find a video of the current track on Google:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...6125831654

I can see there is more elevation than I first thought, I let the fact that the GPL beta is completely flat fool me into thinking it was in real as well. Nothing spectacular but it's certainley there.

There is one thing that I would like to find out, were the oval and the dragstrip in use then as well ? I quite like that you have a Heartland Park type of S/F straight and on the back side of the track pass right next past the shorttrack. Not much to see of it but you can see the billboards in the turns.
11-20-2006, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2006 12:45 AM by woofgm.)
here is the seating diagram from the site, might help ??

http://www.irponline.com/apcm/templates/...&zoneid=95

http://indymotorspeedway.com/irp.htm

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c...ne=2176676

Keep Honking..............................

I'M Still Reloading........................
11-20-2006, 01:50 AM
I found a short video a while ago. Unfortunately I deteled it, but it was a on board video of a lap. I couldn't see much elevation, but it looked a lot like the SCGT version of that track. How did you notice the track has elevation?

11-20-2006, 03:02 AM
The very few pics I've seen in some of my old magazines show little elevation changes. Maybe a slight rise here and there. The background appears to have a few houses or some other (barn?) structures. As with most tracks in those days, there wasn't much around it as far as billboards, guardrails, or purpose built buildings.

The pictures I remember usually had a close-up of a car so you really couldn't see anything else but I got the feeling it resembled the old Trenton and Milwaukee tracks. Y'know, kind of in the city but not really much around it yet so there were a lot of fields and such surrounding it.
11-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Wolf_PD: as Tony says the elevation changes are very subtle. But there is banking in some of the corners for example and some wave-like movement on other parts of the track as you ride along in that video.

Tony: the few pics that I have found myself only show some trees in the background. Indeed not a lot of scenery.

WoofGM: that last link, wow, some detailed air shots !

I'm thinking maybe we should make the modern track and then downgrade it to a version for the USAC patch...
11-20-2006, 05:40 AM
Good idea, at least you have a visible base to work from. Not like the Stardust track (which apparently could use a make-over).

11-21-2006, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2006 05:23 AM by Wolf_pd.)
Tjerk, you might find this read interesting, it mentions the elevation as well.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/IN/IRP.html

And if we talk about whether the oval was already around, this might be a clue:
USAC NATIONAL MIDGET CAR SERIES RACE RESULTS: May 27, 2006 ? Indianapolis, Indiana ? Indianapolis Raceway Park ? 61st Coca-Cola ?Night Before the 500? Classic

12-02-2006, 05:39 AM
IRP moved into projectstatus. I am hoping to get this one for the WinterSeries and put it in somewhere in the last rounds, but don't get too excited.