Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denver 90/91 build thread
Quote:Wow! The buildings look great! What palette did you use for this? The colors look perfect both on the buildings and for the horizon.

I stole the palette from a digital work of art... this Nashville track, someone who inspired me made it!

Quote:Can you do the buildings for Detroit after you are done with Denver? You are becoming an expert at this.

Yeah sure- but it's going to be a bit.  I am so far from an expert, but stealing the images from google maps and messing with them in GIMP is the way I do it. I have been spending a few hours on this every day and I probably get 2 or 3 buildings done each day.  It's like trying to drink the ocean.

None of these are actual buildings- they are just the faces I need.  I wonder if this might screw me in blimp mode though.  I might have to add some roofs to help keep the rain out.

Your comment made me smile, and I needed that being that I am going through a glum time in my life right now. Thank you!
How large are your MIP files, and how many of them do you need for the buildings?

Does someone know, what is the size limit of a track? 16MB or less?
(12-22-2021, 03:27 AM)Dennis Wrote: How large are your MIP files, and how many of them do you need for the buildings?

Does someone know, what is the size limit of a track? 16MB or less?

Typically, for very detailed/very close buildings I shoot for between about 1 pixel per foot.

If the building is further off or clarity is not needed I do less, like 1 pixel per 2 or 3 ft.

The tricky part is guessing which width will be the best choice since these have to be powers of 2. 4,8,16,32, 64, 128,256... etc.

So if I have a building that's say 100 ft tall, and it's close to the track I will probably put it sideways on a MIP and go for a 128 width. Assuming I only have to draw 2 sides with textures I will put those on top of eachother in the MIP (so the mip will be skinny and long)

GIMP has a tool that will let you distort perspectives... so you can steal pictures from google maps 3d views and make them "flat"
(12-22-2021, 05:46 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: GIMP has a tool that will let you distort perspectives... so you can steal pictures from google maps 3d views and make them "flat"

Which tool in GIMP do you use for this? I might be doing it the harder way because I try to find a good angle to view a building from Google Earth and getting a texture as undistorted as possible
(12-22-2021, 06:04 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 05:46 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: GIMP has a tool that will let you distort perspectives... so you can steal pictures from google maps 3d views and make them "flat"

Which tool in GIMP do you use for this? I might be doing it the harder way because I try to find a good angle to view a building from Google Earth and getting a texture as undistorted as possible

here you can see how I do it... I made a half-ass example but you will see how easy it is...

the nice thing about this method is you can get views from up high where there is nothing in the way.... what still sucks though is when you need the side of a building that is in the shadows, so the colors do not come out clear.  In these situations you need to play with the levels in the color menu.  Brightness, contrast... that sort of thing...

Thanks for sharing that process, I'll try it.

I wonder if it's okay that a building is in a shadow - wouldn't that just make the building look more real? I've also been trying to pay attention to which sides of buildings are bright vs dark and make those consistent throughout a track, and for a final touch, I'm hoping to do the same with the track walls - maybe having 2 or 3 different wall textures depending on their brightness.
Motivated by checkpoint10 today to finish my "stepped" building on west-colfax.  This building is not on google maps because so I had to make up a texture based on what I see in the race footage and also on historicaerials.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2048]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This is looking great! The details like the stepped roof really make a difference and I know how much work it must’ve taken to make it!