Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ICR2 Install Tutorial
Hi All,

I made an install video for Indycar Racing II to help out folks installing the game for the first time. Hopefully it helps get more activity in the community! Thanks to everyone here for making this all possible, hopefully I did the process justice!

Great video! I even learned a few things that I could revisit in my DosBox config.

Tjerk, can we get this post stickied? This could be an important resource for newcomers.
Great guide Jake, very nice. I stickied the topic.
Great tutorial, Jake. Thank you!

Just sidenote. Somewhere I read that Windy version that came with Cart Racing was patched and run better on modern OS. So I was able to found ISO image of Cart Racing https://archive.org/details/sierra-indycar And to my surprise it really run without problem here on Win Xp and Win 7 OS. I just need to turn off Direct 3d Acceleration in Dxdiag menu before running Windy exe. Smiley So now I running ICR2 game without any problems and no DosBox.
(08-18-2021, 04:31 AM)Pavel 69 Wrote: Great tutorial, Jake. Thank you!

Just sidenote. Somewhere I read that Windy version that came with Cart Racing was patched and run better on modern OS. So I was able to found ISO image of Cart Racing https://archive.org/details/sierra-indycar And to my surprise it really run without problem here on Win Xp and Win 7 OS. I just need to turn off Direct 3d Acceleration in Dxdiag menu before running Windy exe. Smiley So now I running ICR2 game without any problems and no DosBox.

Does it run in compatibility mode in Windows 10?

I might look into setting up Windy for myself, to make sure my new tracks work for both platforms. I think there are differences in palette and track selection screen?
Yes, in win 10 you need to Win XP compatibility checked.

For Windy track palette is restricted, colors 0-24 and 246-255 should not be used. For load screen mtshotc.pcx and ldiagram.stp are used. I'm fixing some of my tracks for Windy now Smiley
I used to run Windy but found it unstable. In longer races it would randomly crash. Otherwise i agree, it was easier to set up.
dosbox ece for the win
I run (i) Windy in Win 7 (ii) dos in dosbox 0.74-3 (iii) dos in dosbox ece. For me the best is Windy/win7. Reason is frame rate is so much better than the others. With detailed tracks & new car sets my frame rates struggle with dosbox but are still close to perfect with windy/win7. 2nd for me is dosbox ece.