Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Axelson 1989 season
(05-21-2021, 04:10 AM)Flying Dutch Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 02:15 AM)samsepi0l Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 08:06 PM)Wolf_pd Wrote: You might want to move the pit.lp slightly to the apron there I think. That takes away the late pit entry.

That's what I used to think also, but there is a better trick:  Change the value in track.txt PIT which corresponds to the value of DLONG for which CC's switch from RACE to PIT.
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum thanks to the GPLaps video of ICR2 which I haven't play for a long time. Nice to meet you all!
Got the game working, my steering wheel is working so now I'm learning about editing and stuff.
So my first question is: Where do I find DLONG?

Thnks in advance!

If you are new to ICR2 you will need to read about track editing before jumping into modifying track.txt files. There is a tutorial on the site that will help you.

If I think of "1995-me" from the perspective of "2021-me" Every time I changed values in the track.txt without knowing what I was doing, I just screwed things up.

Heck- even 2021 me does not completely and totally understand every aspect of the track.txt DLONGs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblLMyavyBA

Round 2 - Long Beach, for those who has missed the race Smiley

I'm sure there are some lp updates that fixed wierd AI lines in final turns. Maybe Jake doesn't know ubout it.
Thanks Pavel,

I didn't know any better AI for Long Beach exist, do you know where I can find them?
I later will check my archives. But have you tried updates from archve section? https://www.icr2.net/archive/ai.php
Just realised that ICR2 adjust pit windows based on yellow flag periods. That's unexpected!
Still, cool that they took this into account. I think the AI is even more fuelsaving than human driverswith the yellow flag judging by the pitstops.

Also, Jxeboy, make sure to use the draft more. You can save soooooo much by drafting even the slower cars for a bit. A proper draft brought me to 50+ laps at California while only starting at 35 gallons of fuel (Cali is about 1 gallon per lap without).

Edit:
On a sidenote, I just realised I have seen these different pitstrategy a few times before. These were mostly in the longer races. You never saw them in IIRS which were 1 to 1,5 hours races max (usually even shorter), but I used to do run more endurance style to practice long runs, consistency and traffic, and I noticed teams would go off-schedule, but have faster lap times as if they would run lighter fuel loads. It's kinda weird as the track.txt usually disables that with the prescribed pit window, but at the same time, the yellow flag overrides that as well, so there might be more to it.
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
BTW Jxeboy, congratulation with first win of 1989 season Smiley And it was win in Indy 500!  Thumbsup
It was really fun to watch. I think you won time on pit exit compare to AI cars. I've made pit exit line so that AI cars mearge between t1 an t2, other way they will slow down cars on track in t1 every time. So they have to run on apron whole t1. But you could join track in t1 much quicker than AI cars.

Also it's strange to see no yellow flags cause by AI third race in a row. I never run races without breakedowns and with arcade damages so I think couse of no yellows is with this settings. I think it is possible to hex-edit season save file to change this settings...
I'm ok with the settings the way they are. I talked about it before the first race but in all three races so far I most likely would have DNF'd because of accidents which doesn't make a very exciting race to watch. I wish there were more yellows/retirements but I think the Arcade setting is more viable for racing while commentating and monitoring a stream at the same time. I do not think the no breakdowns setting effects AI because they still do have mechanical failure, but the low damage setting seems to.
You asked in the stream, how the draft affects car handling. It causes definitely less downforce. I'm surprised, that you don't feel it. Maybe with the steering wheel, you correct it without noticing?
I drive with keyboard, and on an oval if I turn into a corner in dirty air, I don't get the same line as in clean air, because I have more understeer. Not only on ovals, also on roadcourses, like in the Carousel in Elkhart Lake.
The dirty air was already modelled in ICR1.
I think grand prix 2 has too much draft affect, and icr2 does not have enough draft affect. I can't say I obviously notice the "dirty air" wash out affect very much but I drive with a full wheel/pedals setup.
(06-06-2021, 06:09 AM)Dennis Wrote: You asked in the stream, how the draft affects car handling. It causes definitely less downforce. I'm surprised, that you don't feel it. Maybe with the steering wheel, you correct it without noticing?
I drive with keyboard, and on an oval if I turn into a corner in dirty air, I don't get the same line as in clean air, because I have more understeer. Not only on ovals, also on roadcourses, like in the Carousel in Elkhart Lake.
The dirty air was already modelled in ICR1.

That's why I would keep distances on smaller ovals. The bigger higher banked ovals are setup in a way that makes your car respond in a way that it is more like driving on a straught.
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)