SG files and new editing tools
(07-25-2022, 02:41 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: Is it necessary that I start the first camera with DLONG start of 0?  Can I start the first camera a little before the S/F line and have it go "through" it to a bit further down towards my turn-1?
I'm sure it's even not necessary to have tv1 and tv2 cameras in right order. Because game should choose camera depending on DLONG values. It's just for editing process is better to keep all cameras in right sequence.
I just was making a coffee and I had a thought pop into my head randomly.

Suppose we have a track with a curved pitlane. (like Denver or Toronto).

It's smart to make the center of your SG file the center of the pitlane- so the curve sections don't make the cars more or less dense there.... but.... what about determining track length? If the center is in the pitlane... won't that make the track slight shorter or longer than it really is if we are trying to scale the SG? I know it's smarter to do things so they visually line up on the PCX. This post is more to provoke though and get opinions than to just start a debate.

When I built the chicago SG I matched an aerial photo and the length came out very close- but I put the center of the SG right smack in the center of the track all the way around. (Sure this is easy to do on an oval)
(12-01-2022, 08:06 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: I just was making a coffee and I had a thought pop into my head randomly.

Suppose we have a track with a curved pitlane. (like Denver or Toronto).

It's smart to make the center of your SG file the center of the pitlane- so the curve sections don't make the cars more or less dense there.... but.... what about determining track length? If the center is in the pitlane... won't that make the track slight shorter or longer than it really is if we are trying to scale the SG? I know it's smarter to do things so they visually line up on the PCX. This post is more to provoke though and get opinions than to just start a debate.

When I built the chicago SG I matched an aerial photo and the length came out very close- but I put the center of the SG right smack in the center of the track all the way around. (Sure this is easy to do on an oval)

I believe you can still scale the SG if you know what the track length is if you take the tour through the pit lane - you could go into Google Earth and trace the path to find out the track length.
One problem is ICR2 use track length from trk but not form track.txt to calculate average lap speed. So if you want to see real av.speed data in game then you have to make track length in SGE as close to the real as possible.

In case when part of pitlane is curved and part of it is on straight then you can use PIT and PIT2 strings in track.txt. For example PIT will set position for the cars on curved part of pitlane, and PIT2 will set cars position on the straight part. That way you can adjust cars density for curved and straight part separately Wink2
(12-01-2022, 08:06 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: I just was making a coffee and I had a thought pop into my head randomly.

Suppose we have a track with a curved pitlane.  (like Denver or Toronto).

It's smart to make the center of your SG file the center of the pitlane- so the curve sections don't make the cars more or less dense there.... but.... what about determining track length?  If the center is in the pitlane... won't that make the track slight shorter or longer than it really is if we are trying to scale the SG?  I know it's smarter to do things so they visually line up on the PCX.  This post is more to provoke though and get opinions than to just start a debate.

When I built the chicago SG I matched an aerial photo and the length came out very close- but I put the center of the SG right smack in the center of the track all the way around.  (Sure this is easy to do on an oval)
If your base image is scaled correctly, the "real" track length will be also correct.

To calculate the length of a shifted centerline, you can use the new rpy2lp tool. Set he position value everywhere to the real track centerline, make CSV files of the intermediate values and add together the RW sector lengths in table3_xxx.csv.