Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tamiami "build" thread (or sort of....)
So I'm trying to complete tamiami based on the stig's current work.

In current status the track has no objects and turn 1 is not right. First I have to fix the geometry and I'm already having problems.

Bare with me, because I'm a complete n00b and I'm sure there will be a painful frustrating learning curve.

Here is the track shape I want. This photo was taken in 1986.

[Image: xTCw9IM.png]

Here you can see I am already hitting a brick wall (yes I suck, I know)

Turn 1 is not right. It's shown here as a double apex, with a sweep outward.

[Image: kVsFetb.png]

Here, I deleted the section I don't want.

[Image: SaA2ESj.png]

Now, I have to join the other 2 sections by loosening up the radiuses (radii?)

I can't get them to join though! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I tried hitting "L" to join, but it's not working.

[Image: La3krXU.png]
I suggest to delete the second corner section, split the following straight section, and try to connect on the straight section.
(05-07-2020, 02:31 PM)Dennis Wrote: I suggest to delete the second corner section, split the following straight section, and try to connect on the straight section.

I actually think I got it. I deleted the middle section, and created a straight, and then connected those. The straight is so small it is insignificant. Someone commented (I think it was Danny Sullivan) that this corner tightens up at the exit, so this is fine with me. I want to do an overlay with my image and compare still though.

[Image: SxUuufD.png]
Congrats on meeting and getting past one of SGE’s hurdles. You’re well on your way!
(05-07-2020, 03:11 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote: Congrats on meeting and getting past one of SGE’s hurdles. You’re well on your way!

Well, I'm not sure what to think. I put the 2 images together and I'm not sure if this is good or not.

[Image: pSjUjsk.png]
Check the track length by scaling it, but otherwise you’ve probably learned enough about SGE to move on to SFE. You can always come back and fix the track in SGE later. If you really want to fix something now, the pit straight would probably be it, that’ll give you a little more practice like the last one. But you can spend forever on this step... so for the sake of learning, you’ll want to draw the line at some point and get started on SFE which is more complex in my opinion.
(05-07-2020, 03:45 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote: Check the track length by scaling it, but otherwise you’ve probably learned enough about SGE to move on to SFE. You can always come back and fix the track in SGE later. If you really want to fix something now, the pit straight would probably be it, that’ll give you a little more practice like the last one. But you can spend forever on this step... so for the sake of learning, you’ll want to draw the line at some point and get started on SFE which is more complex in my opinion.

Like you said- I'm going to run with it for now. It shows 1.79mi in SGE, and I checked on youtube the real length is 1.784, so that should be fine.

Do I need to add the red & white curbs in SGE? I'm reading the tutorial and wondering if that's the way I should do it now. Or should I skip that and come back later?

I definitely want to have the red and white curbs at some point.
I wouldn’t deal with curbs in SGE right now because the slight elevation changes on the ground can be glitchy and you don’t want to deal with that yet. You can make flat curbs for now in SFE if you want, and later go back and make them raised in SGE.
Nice project,

You can put the .pcx image underneath your work (8bit gray level) and fine tune it with SGE .ini.

Also when reconnecting 2 parts or filing a hole, always connect from "trunk to hood/bonnet" otherwise you'll reverse the track (clicking next section show the path of the cars).
The .pcx image underneath is the best way (although I tended to use track diagrams rather than Google Earth images).