Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI following/overtaking
While running AI simulations the cars seem not to be able to follow all that closely, set at 100% difficulty they usually spread out by around 1.5 sec gaps & also don't pass backmarkers straight away either & can spend some laps stuck behind them, has anyone come across a solution to this?
It could be to do with the drag etc but i am not sure if/how that has any effect on it or the aggression settings.
I know some tracks were hard to pass on etc but they could still run closer than they do in F1.
Why the faster cars can't pass? I'm nearly sure, that it has to do with PASS.LP.
I think, if the PASS.LP speed is much lower than the RACE.LP speed, or the lateral position of the racing and passing lines are too close to each other, the AI can't overtake.
On my track I had the opposite problem, the field spread out much more, because the fast cars could overtake too easy. At the beginning I made the PASS.LP with empty tank and the RACE.LP with 20 gallons fuel. After I made the PASS.LP also with 20 gallons fuel, it was much better.

Why they keep a gap? I don't really know. Maybe it has the same reason as the other problem.
I usually set my pass(1 and 2) to about 2 to 4 mph higher than RACE.
(04-22-2020, 02:22 AM)Dennis Wrote: Why the faster cars can't pass? I'm nearly sure, that it has to do with PASS.LP.
I think, if the PASS.LP speed is much lower than the RACE.LP speed, or the lateral position of the racing and passing lines are too close to each other, the AI can't overtake.
On my track I had the opposite problem, the field spread out much more, because the fast cars could overtake too easy. At the beginning I made the PASS.LP with empty tank and the RACE.LP with 20 gallons fuel. After I made the PASS.LP also with 20 gallons fuel, it was much better.

Why they keep a gap? I don't really know. Maybe it has the same reason as the other problem.
I have no idea why, i don;t think it's an issue with my Drivers2.txt files as the default "Cars95" carset does the same thing on the default tracks.

(04-22-2020, 03:27 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: I usually set my pass(1 and 2) to about 2 to 4 mph higher than RACE.
I have no idea how to adjust those etc but it'd be good to experiment with it & see if that's the issue or not.
I edit the AI with a linux version of excel called "libreoffice calc".

It's free, but if you have excel that works too. It's easier to bring them into here because you can graph them and see things visually. What I like most, is you can use formulae to generate the speeds and positions or whatever.
I just did a Toronto '94 GP 100% distance. Villeneuve was 3rd after about 30 laps & was stuck behind Matsushita for the entire stint losing 1-1.5 secs a lap on the leaders & was driving around 1.5 secs behind not even looking likely to overtake. has anyone got an idea on how to solve this & does anyone else have this issue in races?
Isn't the aggression reversed, low numbers are good for AI overtaking and pacing behavior ?
(04-30-2020, 04:11 AM)Eddie500 Wrote: Isn't the aggression reversed, low numbers are good for AI overtaking and pacing behavior ?

I'd love to know, could drag have an impact as well (does in real life so it could) aside from lower being quicker i have little idea what drag has an effect on in the game exactly.
Have little/no idea what aggression has an effect on.
I remember a forum thread probably from 2018 where it was discussed that aggression values are opposite what you expect.
when I build a carset, I use values 300 to 800 for the aggression range on all drivers

reason why? Yes there are some empirical observations to how the cc's perform relative to eachother, but ultimately I don't think any of us truly understand it intimately

my observations are that drivers with a lower number seem to move ahead easier in the races