Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheels and ICR2
Hi,

I would lke to know if someone ever got a racing wheel to work with a dosbox in Win XP/7/10 that uses a gameport connector? I know there were gameport to USB converters available years ago. But I never bothered to get one. Now they are nowhere to be found. Thus the question on the gameport plug.

HRR
OK, even without the use of a gameport connector I am sure there are guys here who can help me set up ICR2 in a dosbox. Not sure what OS I will be using. this depends on the stability working with dosbox and ICR2. I have xp, Win 7 and Win 10 available.
I use Dosbox it works fine on it with the steering wheel Smiley
(04-17-2020, 07:20 PM)JR82 Wrote: I use Dosbox it works fine on it with the steering wheel Smiley
Great to hear it works for you. However I would need somebody to lead me through the process of using dosbox. I never needed that for anything so I did not read into the subject. I am also sure you guys here have info on the settings of dosbox so I don't have to forever try to get this to work. And again, what would be the best OS option?
I have windows 7 tho not sure if the newer versions are better.
on Dosbox type the following
Mount d d:\ (d is the drive the game is located on)
d:
cd icr2 (game folder)
icr2 (.exe) & it loads up
I used version 0.74 & it worked fine
Now use ECE version for it.
pressing alt+enter makes it full screen
it auto detects steering wheel
hope all that helps
(04-17-2020, 08:58 PM)JR82 Wrote: I have windows 7 tho not sure if the newer versions are better.
on Dosbox type the following
Mount d d:\ (d is the drive the game is located on)
d:
cd icr2 (game folder)
icr2 (.exe) & it loads up
I used version 0.74 & it worked fine
Now use ECE version for it.
pressing alt+enter makes it full screen
it auto detects steering wheel
hope all that helps

Thank you but what is the ECE version?
ECE 32 bit is what you want. I discovered this trying to get the fastest frame-rate originally by playing Grand Prix 2. It makes a huge difference going from 64-bit down to 32 bit. Since the emulator is running 32-bit and not 64-bit it uses so much less resources and you get a phenomenal frame rate difference. I struggled for probably a year trying to get maximum frame rate with the standard dosbox. I fiddled with every single setting in the config file for hours. Finally frustrated I posted a thread on theVOGONS forum and someone there led me towards 32 bit.
(04-17-2020, 06:58 PM)Hardrockracer Wrote: OK, even without the use of a gameport connector I am sure there are guys here who can help me set up ICR2 in a dosbox. Not sure what OS I will be using. this depends on the stability working with dosbox and ICR2. I have xp, Win 7 and Win 10 available.

I've used DOSBox already under Windows Vista, 7 and 10. There were no problems, so I suggest to choose the best hardware to get the best result.
If you have XP SP1, you can start in DOS mode, so then you don't need DOSBox and can get a good performance also with old hardware.
(04-17-2020, 11:43 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: ECE 32 bit is what you want. I discovered this trying to get the fastest frame-rate originally by playing Grand Prix 2. It makes a huge difference going from 64-bit down to 32 bit. Since the emulator is running 32-bit and not 64-bit it uses so much less resources and you get a phenomenal frame rate difference. I struggled for probably a year trying to get maximum frame rate with the standard dosbox. I fiddled with every single setting in the config file for hours. Finally frustrated I posted a thread on theVOGONS forum and someone there led me towards 32 bit.

What does your .conf file look like for ECE? I was actually experimenting with ECE last night and didn't notice much a performance difference compared to normal dosbox. I still have FPS issues when using some of the high-poly carsets like Lola95
(04-18-2020, 12:42 AM)jxeboy Wrote: What does your .conf file look like for ECE? I was actually experimenting with ECE last night and didn't notice much a performance difference compared to normal dosbox. I still have FPS issues when using some of the high-poly carsets like Lola95

I need to be clear about something here. I am specifying a performance increase with **32-bit** ECE, not 64-bit.

I will get my config file and copy/paste for you when I turn on that computer. Before I had switched to 32-bit, I was desperate to get better frame rate. I was even going into my bios and looking at using overclocking options.

Now let's ignore the 32 bit vs 64 question for a second and understand the distinction of ECE vs Standard dosbox.....

- the reason I am using ECE compared to conventional dosbox is due to Microprose Grand Prix 2. Framerate and time in general is calculated and simulated differently Grand Prix 2 than ICR2. As a result, ICR2 will run just fine in regular dosbox, but in F1GP2 is actually runs about 10% fast for some reason in standard dosbox. If you just play ICR2 you don't need ECE but I still suggest it.

Now- going with the 32 vs 64 bit question: Check out my 2019 post on the VOGONS forum:
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66232

I have been using dosbox for about 2 years now to play some of my old racing games. Indycar Racing 2, and Grand Prix 2. The games run pretty good on my computer, which I built myself in 2013. Back when I built it, I had no idea that I'd be using it for dosbox (I didn't even know it existed). The computer has an I7 processor (I think it is 8 core) and it has a 3.5ghz clock speed. It has 32 gigs of ram and 3 solid state drives. I use Linux as an operating system.

The games run pretty good on dosbox. I've spent a lot of time modifying and testing different settings in the config file. Dynamic core, auto core. I think everything is optimized but honestly I don't really see a difference by changing these settings.

There are a couple racetracks in these games that have areas with high detail. The game slows down and I lose some frame-rate here. If I turn off some of the graphics my performance goes back to optimal frame rate.

I even went into my bios settings and played with the CPU options as far as clock frequency. I don't know precisely what I'm doing here but it didn't seem to make a difference in performance anyways.

I am thinking that there is nothing else I can do to modify settings on my existing machine to make this run at a flawless frame rate. I hope I missed something but I don't think so because I have studied dosbox settings and researched this for hours and hours.

I think I might get what I want by building a faster machine specifically to work as best as possible for this. Cost isn't so important. Is there anyone who has built a performance specific machine for dosbox lately?

If you haven't: compile/get a 32 bit version of dosbox. (apt-get install dosbox:i386)
you might need to add the architecture
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
It's considerably faster.

you my friend- are my hero!

it seems to work amazing! I am getting only 70 percent processor occupancy going up the hill at monaco where the graphics are the most detailed! I need to test it more, but so far the results seem spectacular. Thank you so much!!!!