Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A looooong time ago!
Hi Folks,
for those who don’t know me I am a „veteran“ ICR2 geek and was a member of CREP and the group that painted Robert Szikszo’s original Reynard carset. I was fumbling around with the Rendition version of ICR2 and converted the Reynard carset and the Corby and Chicago Motor Speedway to Rendition. I have not played ICR2 in ages and have not been here for a very long time too. I actually wanted to check on the state of ICR2 and would like to know about what you guys have been able to achieve in terms of editing since the time I walked away from all that some 15 years ago.
Cheers,
HRR
15 years ago? That was around the time we started building our own tracks Wink2
Take a look in the track thread to see what silly things have happened over the years, like Meadowlands for instance, or all kind of version of Laguna. The rest is for you to discover.

You were in CREP before I even took it over from Tjerk. Talk about history!
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
The ICR2 community has done great things, great looking carsets included, seems a few tracks are getting/going to be underway soon.
So, which track thread I'd be looking at? The one that is pinned important?
Are you guys building "real" new tracks or like we did in the past, use existing tracks,tweaking and renaming them?

Was there ever any effort to enhance the graphics resolution by compiling the source code? I have zero programming knowledge so I am also asking if that would be possible at all?

Or was there ever any intention to contact David Kaemmer and get some info or even the source code from him?
The thread that is pinned yes.
The tracks are custom made real ones or custom made fictional tracks. Other people managed to convert GPL tracks all the way to ICR2.
Download a few and check them with 3doedit, you will be pleasantly surprised.
No renaming and tweaking (ok, maybe a few guys trying things out), but there are some alpha tracks build only with surface and walls. Even a few GP2 and GP3 converts!

We got some trackedit tools from an 'unknown' Wink2 source and some brilliant guys build some extra tooling to help with lp files, converting, cams, etcetera.

Also, noteworthy is that Boblogsan made the current carshape.
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
Aha, an "unknown" source....

Do you guys think there will ever be the chance of enhancing the graphics? If bigger, more detailed mips and a higher resolution were possible that would give the game a boost. But that would mean fumbling with the source code.

Btw, I checked the box to get an email when somebody's replying but that does not work. Meaning I do not get emails when somebody actually responds.
WB, HRR
I don't know that messing with the source code would be necessary for bigger mips. Shouldn't it be just a matter of re-mapping the object 3do's onto a larger texture?
My biggest wish for ICR2 is support for a higher graphics resolution. It would be interesting to explore what was changed in Nascar II when support for glide acceleration was implemented. I imagine before that the codebase was similar, it might hold a link to doing something similar in the ICR2 platform.
(04-16-2020, 11:01 PM)CowtownBob Wrote: WB, HRR
I don't know that messing with the source code would be necessary for bigger mips. Shouldn't it be just a matter of re-mapping the object 3do's onto a larger texture?

Well the thought is that first up it should be possible to use bigger resolutions than 640x480 so we could have finer i.e. more detailed graphics. With bigger resolution also mips with a bigger resolution should be possible. They could be more detailed. It's my humble opinion that such would have to be tweaked within the source code. Then again, I'm no programmer.
(04-16-2020, 11:43 PM)jxeboy Wrote: My biggest wish for ICR2 is support for a higher graphics resolution. It would be interesting to explore what was changed in Nascar II when support for glide acceleration was implemented. I imagine before that the codebase was similar, it might hold a link to doing something similar in the ICR2 platform.
a quicker "accelerate time" feature would be good too

(04-16-2020, 08:13 PM)Hardrockracer Wrote: So, which track thread I'd be looking at? The one that is pinned important?
Are you guys building "real" new tracks or like we did in the past, use existing tracks,tweaking and renaming them?

Was there ever any effort to enhance the graphics resolution by compiling the source code? I have zero programming knowledge so I am also asking if that would be possible at all?

Or was there ever any intention to contact David Kaemmer and get some info or even the source code from him?

anyone know if he is on fb or anything? would be great to ask him about the AI among other things. i'd love to know if/how to have 1 car quick on ovals but not so much on road courses etc. Also how to affect reliability too