Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pit windows
Just curious as to what pit windows ppl are running on the tracks they use. generally road/street tracks i have around 30 laps & the default 70 on small ovals & 50 at Michigan. Both with about 2-3 laps as the "pit window" as any more tends to affect performance spread a lot.

Can anyone remember back to yesteryear on how many laps they got under green on any tracks etc?
The only track I can think of is Road America and my recollection is that during the 35 gal days they pitted every 10 laps, so around 40 miles. But I may be completely misremembering. Why do you ask me this stuff first thing in the morning? I'm old.
At every track I run I make sure to do a full test. Last night I did my test for Pavels 1985 style roadcourse meadowlands track. I was able to make 36 laps on 40 gallons (I will set the value for the pit window based on this.) For example here, I will make it 34 on the low end, 38 on the high.

On most ovals I run 2 top gears, about ".2" apart. I have to do 2 tests before I tune the pit windows more accuracy. 5th will be shorter so I will have higher rpm and worse mileage, 6th will be taller, lower rpm and better mileage.
(04-15-2020, 06:08 PM)JR82 Wrote: Just curious as to what pit windows ppl are running on the tracks they use. generally road/street tracks i have around 30 laps & the default 70 on small ovals & 50 at Michigan. Both with about 2-3 laps as the "pit window" as any more tends to affect performance spread a lot.

Can anyone remember back to yesteryear on how many laps they got under green on any tracks etc?

That's hotlapping right? Because race condition can be anything between horrendous fuel mileage and driving with putting fuel back in the tank.
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
Reason i ask is i am soon to go through my carsets & do AI simulations of those seasons & would like to have accurate pit windows for each race & i have no idea how realistic the default pit windows on the tracks i have are etc.
We used the original tracks during IIRS for many years and most of those pit windows were quite good for a 37-40 gallon fuel load.
(04-16-2020, 10:04 PM)Wolf_pd Wrote: We used the original tracks during IIRS for many years and most of those pit windows were quite good for a 37-40 gallon fuel load.

Ever considered re introducing IIRS?
I retired, don't know about the other guys.