Logo
Current time: 11-14-2019, 12:26 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
F1 and Indycar at the same track in..... Miami?
10-16-2019, 09:46 PM
F1 and Indycar at the same track in..... Miami?
F1 send out some enthusiastic messages about racing in Miami. Obviously a lot of hurdles still to take, but would this track work for Indycar too?

https://www.racefans.net/2019/10/15/f1-c...-214758-2/

PS This is an artist impression, so not the real layout.

IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2019, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2019 01:11 AM by Hustin_Jawkins.)
RE: F1 and Indycar at the same track in..... Miami?
Hard to say. As you mentioned this is just an impression so far. I checked and there's no possible length mentioned yet as well. Some of those modern F1 circuits have been designed with the usage of DRS in mind, which often leads to a mix of looong straights and mid to slow speed corners. Looking at the ships in that drawing those straights seem to be very long as well. I don't know if that might just be boring for Indycars but this years race at COTA went better than expected, too.

In the end I hope that, given this tracks will materialize, Indycar won't go there. There's not much I can get from modern F1 tracks and, as I mentioned, even though the COTA race was okay personally I prefer other tracks than modern F1 tracks for Indycar. Especially one or two additional ovals.

On the other hand: Once hybrid systems will be introduced to Indycar track performance might shift that picture again, possibly making a race at Hard Rock Stadium more sensible.
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2019, 08:18 AM
What kills Formula 1 today is the track designer, that german named Hermann Tilke. His layouts are boring and artificial. If you compare tracks like Spa Francochamps, Monza or even Suzuka with newer tracks such as Austin you will see what i'm talking about.

Formula 1 should bring Detroit back into calendar (Not Belle isle) but that track in downtown from the 80s
Formula 1. Lots of 90 degree turns, ups and downs, a small tunnel either. What an amazing track we had back then.
11-04-2019, 05:19 PM
(11-04-2019 08:18 AM)Arvandoor Wrote:  What kills Formula 1 today is the track designer, that german named Hermann Tilke. His layouts are boring and artificial. If you compare tracks like Spa Francochamps, Monza or even Suzuka with newer tracks such as Austin you will see what i'm talking about.

Formula 1 should bring Detroit back into calendar (Not Belle isle) but that track in downtown from the 80s
Formula 1. Lots of 90 degree turns, ups and downs, a small tunnel either. What an amazing track we had back then.

Agree that F1 tracks are bland, but I would blame it on the FIA and its restrictions on what makes a Grade 1 circuit. I think Tilke has very little room to be creative with the regulations.

This also means IndyCar is much more interesting because IndyCar can race on lower grade circuits which can have more character. Interestingly, this weekend has highlighted how the bumps at COTA can unsettle Formula 1 when other series are able to cope with those with no problems.
11-06-2019, 12:42 AM
(11-04-2019 08:18 AM)Arvandoor Wrote:  What kills Formula 1 today is the track designer, that german named Hermann Tilke. His layouts are boring and artificial. If you compare tracks like Spa Francochamps, Monza or even Suzuka with newer tracks such as Austin you will see what i'm talking about.

To be fair with the cars F1 have now the racing would be rubbish on Detroit, then again the racing is rubbish anywhere hence the need for DRS.
11-06-2019, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2019 05:54 AM by Tjerk.)
Well the year 2021 sees the new rules in effect. Ground effect will make a return which should significantly reduce the dirty air behind the cars. Basically it's F1 going a bit Indycar style. I hope it works for them and they can finally get rid of that artificial atrocity DRS.

If only the brakes would change too so that they would spend more tme under braking. Then you might actually see some good fights. Smiley

Having said that, this track looks pretty generic and boring.
11-10-2019, 03:04 AM
Can't wait to see what F1 will look like in 2021, im optimistic with Indycar since Roger Penske bought a great part of it and i have a feeling that someday Indycar will be big again.