Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So looking to get back into editing
I will aim to wrap up Caesars asap, I feel it's important to get version 1.0 across the finish line. I just need to finish one more hotel, park some RVs off the back section, and call it done for now. It sounds like your AI for that is pretty good already - whenever you want, just post that and I will incorporate it into the next release.

Afterwards, I will be happy to move onto Rio and plan out the build. I will enlist your help with painting objects - it's pretty much the same as painting carsets - and of course the AI.
I appreciate your kind words, but I have no problem being honest with my short-comings...

The AI is competitive in my video because I did a sweet race.lp. This is fully credited to Dennis's formula that takes into account distortions recorded when you use a replay.

I have a method for making AI that uses a spreadsheet to "magically" make up pass1 and pass2 from calculations between race.lp, minrace and maxrace. This works fantastic in theory but my formulas are creating aggressive changes in the position placement which is causing the AI to do stupid things- mostly the AI is trying to change position quicker then "in game physics" should allow... which makes them "bounce" around (almost like when you have 'no damage' on and you hit a wall going too fast).

I am making some fundamental changes to the way that pass1 and pass2 are calculated so that I can avoid this problem. I am hoping it works without creating other negative side effects.

I really want to make my method of making AI available to you all so we can make track editing less cumbersome. I do not go a day without wishing we had all of the tracks available (kind of like a situation in grand prix 2 where you can get almost anything). Once I have developed this to the point where I am happy with it I will gladly make a thread on how to use it with everything attached.
(04-10-2020, 06:14 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: I do not go a day without wishing we had all of the tracks available (kind of like a situation in grand prix 2 where you can get almost anything).

Same. I still can't believe it is possible to make new tracks for ICR2 because it seemed like an impossible dream during the 90s. I wish I had the patience to learn this skill years ago, but I guess better late than never.
(04-10-2020, 05:02 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: You are right. I do want to acknowledge Wolf's interesting experiment in bringing over objects from rFactor - it really would be great if we can figure out how to make them load in ICR2, but it is looking like the practical solution is to start fresh with the objects and revert to using ICR2/N2 type objects.

I think doing Rio in the "style" of the default ICR2 tracks will not be too hard. As you mentioned, most grandstands & billboards, even the garage, can be brought over from other tracks. The bigger effort will be to make the objects that are unique to Rio - the bridges on the back & front straightaways come to mind, and I would say the balloons above the grandstands which I think could be done like "trees" that face the same way however you look at them.

Fair point about reusing other objects. I have done so in the past with other tracks and Tony Krist added the local flavour with the graphics.

I thought that crossed my mind, would it be an idea to use a smaller sized mip than the one the game is looking for?
rFactor did have some insame sizes for some graphics, 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048.
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
(04-16-2020, 06:17 AM)Wolf_pd Wrote: I thought that crossed my mind, would it be an idea to use a smaller sized mip than the one the game is looking for?
rFactor did have some insame sizes for some graphics, 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048.
It's my understanding (and as always, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that each vertex in the 3do is mapped to an absolute location on the full-size image of the mip, rather than to a relative location. Relative would let you substitute different sized mips, but if it's absolute and the location it's looking for isn't there because the mip is smaller you would get unexpected results.