So looking to get back into editing
(11-27-2019, 11:27 AM)Pavel 69 Wrote: As I understand files from his archive are in N3 format. It's N3 track. So you want to convert it to icr2. And to do it with converter you need to pack all this files into dat, am I right?

BTW It looks like track objects were converted from nr2003. They will look ok in n2/n3. But ICR2 textures can not have transparent colors, so in icr2 this objects will look bad Sad We need to fix/redone them.

so I believe what you are saying is I have to modify the transparent parts of the graphics one at a time so it won't look sloppy right? If so, I'm sure I can do that. I just need to figure out why I can't even get the track to play at all.
So,
Here it is archive with fixed N3 track files for OPE program. You can extract folder and run OPE.BAT and track should be opened in OPE. Original files had some problems with mips so I fixed them
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TE6CpN...VstqUtp4zv

Here it is N3 files packed in DAT. N3 files inside DAT are with MRON section removed for N99toICR2 converter
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RZ00ws...vZF1fXd4qu

And here it is ICR2 track folder. Track conversion was completed without problems BUT track doesn't work Sad Seems like RF2/NR2003 objects are too heavy fro ICR2.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g-PzBd...lM42f04gWV

You can try and replace one by one objects in icr2 track with any simple object (lamp, tree, car). This way you can find problematic object or texture.
First, I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

I decided to use some extra time I have staying at home during this crisis to get into track editing. I am happy to report that I succeeded in making a track that works in the game!

It does not look good, just a simple oval layout, so it's nothing that I would share aside from the attached screenshot. But I just wanted to confirm that in the year 2020, on Windows 10, it is still possible to make a track based on the utilities available. I used Tjerk's tutorial and other sources of advice from this forum, so thank you to all who commented before.

To summarize my workflow and observations in case it helps others:

1) I used N3 Sandbox to create a track folder and all its placeholder files (which I believe are all in N3 format including textures that are not used in ICR2)
2) I had some trouble using N3 Sandbox to point to the config file for my DOSBox. I ended up manually updating sandbox.ini with the full path that I copied from Windows Explorer.
3) I used SGE and SFE, then SG 2 TRK, TRK 2 3D and 3D 2 3DO, all of these I still accessed using N3 Sandbox. At this point Tjerk's tutorial was very helpful to understand the utilities.
4) I navigated to the folder with the track 3DO and used Tjerk's MRON utility that was made recently. (Thank you!)
5) Packing the .dat file: I couldn't get Doodat to work - it installs but the Explorer right-click functionality doesn't appear. So, I ran my Python script to generate a packing list (being sure to exclude the .exe files and other files that N3 Sandbox might have created in my working directory) and pack the .dat file. My script for packing is in another thread in this forum and I will update it later with what I used to create a packing list. I believe the UNPACK and PACK utilities that were posted in this thread will achieve the same result.
6) I moved all the track files over to my Nascar2 folder.
7) I run N2toICR2 utility and it converted with no errors.

I did spend a few hours encountering many errors until I was successful. I think the main source of problems were making sure all the right type of files were in the .dat file before running N2toICR2. Also I noted that the N2toICR2 utility doesn't seem to work unless you have a pure N3 track with all of its files, processed only by MRON.

I had tried using N2toICR2 with only the 3DO file in the .dat, or with some files that I copied over from another ICR2 track, and none of these worked with the utility. Keeping it simple made it work. Unfortunately, the N2toICR2 utility will cancel the operation with very little feedback if anything went wrong. Also, ICR2 itself will not load the track if there is a problem, and unfortunately it does not provide feedback on what the problem is.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I wanted to use some of this isolation time to work with track editing too, but I just don't know where to start. My concern is not so much making a track from scratch just now- I just want to be able to add graphics and objects to some of the "incomplete" tracks that we have:

Rio "roval"
Denver street circuit 90/91
Detroit Downtown
Tamiami
san air oval
Chicago oval (not Chicagoland in Joliet, the old Chicago oval)

(I think that's most of them....)
(03-21-2020, 07:34 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: I wanted to use some of this isolation time to work with track editing too, but I just don't know where to start. My concern is not so much making a track from scratch just now- I just want to be able to add graphics and objects to some of the "incomplete" tracks that we have:

Rio "roval"
Detroit Downtown
Tamiami
san air oval

Rio would be a good one to focus on! Probably the easiest one of what you have on the list and a unique layout.

Chicago might be easy too, but there are plenty of similar tracks out there.
(03-21-2020, 08:01 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 07:34 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: I wanted to use some of this isolation time to work with track editing too, but I just don't know where to start. My concern is not so much making a track from scratch just now- I just want to be able to add graphics and objects to some of the "incomplete" tracks that we have:

Rio "roval"
Detroit Downtown
Tamiami
san air oval

Rio would be a good one to focus on! Probably the easiest one of what you have on the list and a unique layout.

Chicago might be easy too, but there are plenty of similar tracks out there.

The thing is if you look above this thread, there are posts from pavel who tried to get this track working but he could not. If I knew how to do what he suggested, I would try and fix it. I don't think I need to make a new layout, I would want to go with the existing layout. I just want the objects and graphics to look as good as any of the other "pavel made" tracks.
I opened the version that Pavel posted. What a nice looking track as seen from 3doEd - see attached image.

Unfortunately I had the same problem that ICR2 wouldn't load the track.

I wish I had enough skill to help further, but right now I might have to learn more before revisiting this one.

From what I read I was wondering if there was a way to eliminate the "grapics" one at a time until the track works.
Like for example- trying each permutation with objects removed.
(03-21-2020, 09:43 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: From what I read I was wondering if there was a way to eliminate the "grapics" one at a time until the track works.
Like for example- trying each permutation with objects removed.

Okay, I got it open in OPE which is the trackside object editor. You can see some of the objects are more complex than we typically see in ICR2.

I don't know what I am doing yet in OPE (I find it hard to even move around) but I will see if I can just remove all the objects first and try to get a driveable version of the track. I think that might be easiest way to fix this, and then one by one place the objects back into their spot, although my personal preference would be to source the objects from the default ICR2 tracks as much as possible to ensure compatibility.

Yes I see what you mean- they look super detailed... almost like what I see in hand-made grand prix 2 tracks.
I see that picture with the bridge and I keep thinking of the zanardi / moore battle back in about 98 when they were fighting lap after lap with awesome in-car-cam shots during the race. That was so exciting....