Logo
Current time: 08-23-2019, 12:54 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Taking the "kink" flat out on the back stretch at Elkhart Lake Road America
03-26-2019, 02:52 PM
Taking the "kink" flat out on the back stretch at Elkhart Lake Road America
I have been struggling to take the kink on the back stretch at Road America Elkhart Lake flat out without lifting.

I found great success with the suspension settings lately. I like to run the car soft at tracks with many slower corners (1st, 2nd and 3rd gear) but in the faster corners like the kink I found the car is much more stable with stiffer suspension. I stiffened the car up to 80% shocks, and it was consistent feeling. I then used the wing settings, I think I am at about 11 degrees wing on the front and the rear. When the fuel load is 20 gallons or lower, I can pretty much consistently take the kink flat with no issues. I have tire pressures down at 33psi all around. I've got the camber where it is mostly even across the tire (sometimes showing slightly higher in the inside). Obviously soft tires all around.

When the car is full of fuel, I still have to lift. It gets a little hairy sometimes. I have the AI set at 100 RELS and 100% difficulty so they catch me on the way to canada-corner if I do not take this corner flat.

any suggestions? Typically exiting the carousell I cam at about 155-160mph and by the time I reach the kink and "dive in" I am around 180mph. If the car slides a little, sometimes I lose a few mph and end up around 175mph by the time I straighten the wheel.

I am lapping around 1m41.5s laps if you are curious. This is Pavels "new" updated elkhart lake.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2019, 10:33 AM
RE: Taking the "kink" flat out on the back stretch at Elkhart Lake Road America
Here is my setup from my last IIRS race at Elkhart Lake (2008), according to my notes I have qualified with 1:36.949, and my best race lap was 1:37.824. Not sure whether it is set in my setup, I have set both ARBs to 5, and the brake balance to 6.

It might or might not work for you, depending on how different our driving styles are. Note: I have used a little stagger to help in T1 and Caroussel, set it back to 0 if you experience problems in left turns or brakings.

Two other things which might help: try to use as low wheel lock as you can (meaning you can still do the slowest turns). This helps the accuracy of your steering. For me it was 13 degree, for your controller a different value might work better. Second: try to drive as clean and smooth racing line as you can, with as little steering movement as possible. Easier to say than doing Wink2

Seems I had to zip the file to be able to upload.

Attached File(s)
.zip  kelkr7.stg.zip (Size: 238 bytes / Downloads: 5)

Born in 1979 - the same year as Bourdais, Raikkonen, Champcar and Dakar.
03-27-2019, 11:03 PM
(03-27-2019 10:33 AM)kakukri Wrote:  Here is my setup from my last IIRS race at Elkhart Lake (2008), according to my notes I have qualified with 1:36.949, and my best race lap was 1:37.824. Not sure whether it is set in my setup, I have set both ARBs to 5, and the brake balance to 6.

It might or might not work for you, depending on how different our driving styles are. Note: I have used a little stagger to help in T1 and Caroussel, set it back to 0 if you experience problems in left turns or brakings.

Two other things which might help: try to use as low wheel lock as you can (meaning you can still do the slowest turns). This helps the accuracy of your steering. For me it was 13 degree, for your controller a different value might work better. Second: try to drive as clean and smooth racing line as you can, with as little steering movement as possible. Easier to say than doing Wink2

Seems I had to zip the file to be able to upload.

Hey thanks- I haven't tried to drive with your setup but wow.... 7 or so degrees of rear wing?!!! that's crazy low. How fast are you at the end of the straight? Also, I notice you are using much higher tire pressures. I typically thought it was better to run lower pressures and help grip on the twisty circuits. I have a wheel and pedals (a full cockpit setup actually) so I will have to try it later. 1m36s is very fast!
03-28-2019, 11:34 AM
It was 10 years ago, so I am not sure what the top speed was, maybe 190 - 200 mph. Elkhart Lake is not a typical twisty circuit, so this setup was optimised for speed. For pressure I have set it up to provide even temperatures, and also to have the same hot pressure on all 4 tires. For street circuits I have used lower pressures to provide more grip, but for Elkhart Lake higher pressure provides less resistance and more top speed.

I have just realised that Pavel has changed the track layout as well, my setup and lap times are for the original Papyrus layout. But the track characteristics did not change, so this setup could still be a good start on Pavels version.

03-28-2019, 11:39 AM
(03-28-2019 11:34 AM)kakukri Wrote:  It was 10 years ago, so I am not sure what the top speed was, maybe 190 - 200 mph. Elkhart Lake is not a typical twisty circuit, so this setup was optimised for speed. For pressure I have set it up to provide even temperatures, and also to have the same hot pressure on all 4 tires. For street circuits I have used lower pressures to provide more grip, but for Elkhart Lake higher pressure provides less resistance and more top speed.

I have just realised that Pavel has changed the track layout as well, my setup and lap times are for the original Papyrus layout. But the track characteristics did not change, so this setup could still be a good start on Pavels version.

I haven't raced the original papy elkhart since the 90s before I "got back into" this 2 years ago. I am hitting 202mph going down the hill to "station 5" which (I think) is the fastest straight- this is with my 11 or so degrees of rear wing. I have yet to try your setup, but I will let you know.
03-31-2019, 10:25 AM
On this layout I had to increase the wings to 11.4 front and 8.8 rear, otherwise the setup remained unchanged. This way I can take the kink flat, assuming I find the correct turn-in point. Not on the first lap with cold tires, but in the second lap it is possible.