Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite era
Just a curious one, what was your favorite era of Indycar/Champ car/Cart racing? any particular seasons that stand out? also any particular seasons you like to replicate in ICR2?
For me, I think the mid to late '90s. The wide variety of chassis/engine/tire combinations and the depth of driver talent made for some of the most exciting racing ever seen on the planet. For the 500 itself though, '67 and '68 - the turbine years. Not just because of the turbine cars themselves, but that time was the culmination of the era of "run what you brung" innovation.
1996- the year CART and "IRL" split. This was the start of Honda's many years of domination. All hail Target.
Since no one mentioned the 80s, I'll say that even though I never watched that era, it must have been an amazing decade because you had so many legends still racing (Mario, Foyt, Unser Sr., Rutherford) versus the new superstars (Unser Jr., Michael Andretti, Sullivan, Rahal, Mears). Plus Emerson Fittipaldi joining the series. Basically all the household names raced together in the 80s.
Im a big Michael Andretti fan..so my favorite era was 1990-1995. Michael was the most dominant during this time (except for 93 to F1). Mario, Mears, Sullivan nearing the end of careers, Lil Al, Emo, Rahal strong, Nigel Mansel comes to indycar for 93/94, Penske domination of 94. Tracy/Vasser begin careers

There was even talk of going to a 25 race schedule...but then the split.
(03-29-2020, 02:55 AM)indyracer_1999 Wrote: Im a big Michael Andretti fan..so my favorite era was 1990-1995. Michael was the most dominant during this time (except for 93 to F1). Mario, Mears, Sullivan nearing the end of careers, Lil Al, Emo, Rahal strong, Nigel Mansel comes to indycar for 93/94, Penske domination of 94. Tracy/Vasser begin careers

There was even talk of going to a 25 race schedule...but then the split.

That was definitely a golden age of Indy racing!
I was a huge Michael Andretti fan when I saw him (or any Indycar) in 1994 on Saturday at the Toronto race. I picked that up because he was my uncles favorite driver and he took me to Toronto (I had never even seen these on TV at the time). It changed my life. That's why I got into cars in general and got into Engineering.

I have all of the CART races and F1 from 85-2000 downloaded. I am watching both CART 1991 and F1 1993 at the same time right now. I got a kick out of a comment that Derek Daly made when speaking to Michael Andretti in 1991 during the Elkhart Lake race how Michael Andretti wanted to replace Gerhard Berger at McLaren so that he could show how he would be able to keep up with Senna. Watching F1 1993 at the same time, Michael's season was so absolutely miserable. I wanted to say that this was due to bad-luck (which he had a lot of), but in reality Michael did not even finish the season as he quit after the Italian GP, and Mika Hakkinen drove the last 3 races in his car. Mika did quite well. This really made me feel that even though Michael Andretti was one of the best CART drivers ever, that he does not compare to the F1 greats such as Senna. I think that's why Mansell had such an easy time when he drove for Newman Haas in 1993. I remember when I was younger I did not feel this way, but now I am much older and I think it is true.
I believe on driving ability alone, Andretti was as good as anyone. It was everything else that proved challenging, whether it's the lack of testing miles, the travel, or politics at McLaren with a quick young driver waiting in the wings. Mansell was obviously a decent driver but he also came to CART when Newman/Haas was the strongest non-Penske team. If you look at 1994, Michael Andretti beat Mansell on wins and points - I think that shows that Andretti could mix it up with the world's best.
CART/Indycar drivers had to do it all...short ovals, big ovals, street courses, natural terrain road courses. In the early 90s there was a great mix of them all. Once Cart/Irl split everything was split..fans, talent, tracks, sponsor dollars.
Early 90s. The time when F1 didn't want Champcar to race at their tracks, because they didn't want a comparison.
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)