Logo
Current time: 11-14-2019, 12:25 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
my 1999 carset, with reynard 2k carshape.
03-01-2019, 05:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2019 05:12 AM by samsepi0l.)
my 1999 carset, with reynard 2k carshape.
Download here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dZeKOPq...sp=sharing
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2019, 08:36 AM
RE: my 1999 carset, with reynard 2k carshape.
(03-01-2019 05:11 AM)samsepi0l Wrote:  Download here

Beautifully done! As always, great attention to detail. The Reynard carshape works well.

It is a little bit sad to be reminded of Greg Moore's last ride, as well as the #3 car that Gonzalo Rodriguez had his fatal accident in.

I see you gave Roberto Moreno his own car (he served as a super sub that year) which is nice. There was definitely a lot of driver movement that year and you would've had to make some decisions about who to put where. I think it all makes sense in the end.
03-01-2019, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2019 08:55 AM by samsepi0l.)
(03-01-2019 08:36 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote:  
(03-01-2019 05:11 AM)samsepi0l Wrote:  Download here

Beautifully done! As always, great attention to detail. The Reynard carshape works well.

It is a little bit sad to be reminded of Greg Moore's last ride, as well as the #3 car that Gonzalo Rodriguez had his fatal accident in.

I see you gave Roberto Moreno his own car (he served as a super sub that year) which is nice. There was definitely a lot of driver movement that year and you would've had to make some decisions about who to put where. I think it all makes sense in the end.

Thank you.

The other thing that some might be thinking- is "why is the Kanaan Mcdonalds car green, gold and red" instead of yellow gold and red. As well as Robby Gordon's car.

These cars were painted Dayglow fluorescent green- so that they would look bright yellow on TV. They appeared the same colour as a bright "safety vest". It is a fluorescent color The pallet does not have a green bright enough, so I used the closest thing.

This is similar to the Marlboro red of the penske cars. Everyone thinks the penske cars are red and white, but they are actually fluorescent orange and white! It was painted that way because the color red would look bland on television. With the fluorescent paint, the bright orange appeared to be red on TV, and it stood out better. This is why the teams used these colors back in the 80s and 90s before TV cameras were as vivid as they are today.
03-01-2019, 11:59 PM
These look great, it's good to see new carsets being made.
03-02-2019, 02:02 AM
(03-01-2019 08:53 AM)samsepi0l Wrote:  Thank you.

The other thing that some might be thinking- is "why is the Kanaan Mcdonalds car green, gold and red" instead of yellow gold and red. As well as Robby Gordon's car.

These cars were painted Dayglow fluorescent green- so that they would look bright yellow on TV. They appeared the same colour as a bright "safety vest". It is a fluorescent color The pallet does not have a green bright enough, so I used the closest thing.

This is similar to the Marlboro red of the penske cars. Everyone thinks the penske cars are red and white, but they are actually fluorescent orange and white! It was painted that way because the color red would look bland on television. With the fluorescent paint, the bright orange appeared to be red on TV, and it stood out better. This is why the teams used these colors back in the 80s and 90s before TV cameras were as vivid as they are today.

In fact, I did notice the green and my initial thought was, I could swear that regular yellow existed in the palette. I've never seen the Kanaan and Gordon cars in person but now that you mentioned it, yes I do recall that the Marlboro cars are brighter in real life than they appear.

I am wondering if it's possible to edit the palettes in sunny.pcx and/or gamepal.pcx to get the colors even closer. I'd also like to see papaya orange in there because there is no good approximation for it currently.
03-02-2019, 11:38 PM
By definition Capt. Kirk's Star Trek uniform was taupe, but in reality the costume was green so it would look the correct golden-brown hue on TV.

Yes, it's possible to edit the palettes, but it will change those colors in every carset and possibly every track. And are the cars during a race using the palette from gamepal.pcx, sunny.pcx, or the [trackname].pcx?

The game, especially in the replays, simulates what is seen on TV, not what you'd see while roaming the paddock. IMO, I would rather see the colors the way the vast majority of people ever saw them - on the tube; but that's just my opinion.

And come to think of it, as an FYI - if you do edit palettes and then use icr2mgr, it could yield unexpected results.