Logo
Current time: 10-20-2019, 01:36 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ICR2 stories
02-25-2019, 08:54 PM
ICR2 stories
Just a bit of fun with this thread, what are some great race/Title battles you've had in the past in ICR2 & what season carsets do you use in the game?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2019, 01:50 PM
RE: ICR2 stories
Back in the late 90s, I operated and competed in an offline series that started on AOL but soon branched out to the web. I didn't have a joystick or wheel so I played on the keyboard, which contributed to my lack of speed. Not a lot of on-track adventures either, but I remember being somewhat competitive, like qualifying or finishing 5th or something, at Cleveland.

Off track, the beginning of the series was a lot of fun because we had a spring training session where participants really role-played and posted stories and "press releases" about what they did, on a daily basis. I also provided daily time sheets which was fun to gather and write up. There were a lot of entrants, basically most of the folks who played ICR2 who were on that AOL forum. Unfortunately the sessions were cut short when my family's AOL got cut for a week due to a payment issue, and in those days there was nothing I could do to communicate this to the rest of the folks. I think we lost some momentum from that, but the series persisted with some decent competition (some of whom hold lap records shown on this site).

Dealing with politics was a challenge and I remember being dragged into a cheating scandal which I had to moderate. The story is that one of our winners at Long Beach was accused of setting unrealistic times. As I recall, after hearing both sides and examining evidence, I ultimately gave the benefit of the doubt to that competitor and let the result stand. This turned out to be the wrong decision as the competitor later admitted to have used an altered grip file (accidentally so, he maintained). Anyway, looking back it was probably a bit too much of an issue for a mere teenager to handle, but I did my best to be fair and the series survived the incident for a few more seasons.
02-26-2019, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2019 03:31 PM by samsepi0l.)
When I was a kid I could never finish a season. My parents were always calling me to do chores or homework or something. LOL. I finally finished my first season last year. I'm 39 now.... haha.. The other day I called my mom (they are hundreds of miles away) and I gave her crap about this.... It was funny.
02-26-2019, 04:00 PM
(02-26-2019 03:30 PM)samsepi0l Wrote:  When I was a kid I could never finish a season. My parents were always calling me to do chores or homework or something. LOL. I finally finished my first season last year. I'm 39 now.... haha.. The other day I called my mom (they are hundreds of miles away) and I gave her crap about this.... It was funny.

That's funny and I can relate to this. I also feel like I didn't get the most out of ICR2 as a teenager, but I'd say more due to lack of discipline, focus and project management skills. I think now in my mid-thirties, I felt a need to redeem myself, hence a burst of creativity and making my '91 carset. My old self would've been super proud, haha - with the right direction in life, maybe I could've become a pro modder!!
02-28-2019, 06:25 PM
Good stories, as a kid i was a bit of a crasher lol