Logo
Current time: 11-14-2019, 12:26 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
trying to edit existing tracks
12-29-2017, 03:37 PM
RE: trying to edit existing tracks
(12-25-2017 11:53 PM)Wolf_pd Wrote:  Google Earth can help as well. There is even a time travell option in it, although your track of choice has to be photographed multiple times then as well.

On the subject of going back in time, historicaerials.com is also super interesting and might be of help to someone looking into old track layouts. Plus, it's just fun to check out your hometown :v
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2018, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2018 08:07 AM by Pavel 69.)
(12-21-2017 09:47 PM)Purojannu Wrote:  I watched the 1990 Vancouver race on YouTube and noticed that the track was then quite different from Pavel's excellent 93 and 95 versions. So that's also one track we don't yet have. Vancouver 98 was also slightly different from that BoblogSan's also great 99 version. Then there are some Long Beach versions lacking too, and the Papyrus Detroit is not very accurate either. Toronto is better although not perfect.

Anyway, it's great that there's still someone planning to make new tracks for a very old game.
Oh, to be true my Vancouver tracks are also wrong. They were one of my first tracks and I based them on Papy versions. They need to be rebuild, like Long Beach, Detroit, and Toronto Grin3
06-06-2018, 06:58 PM
(06-06-2018 08:06 AM)Pavel 69 Wrote:  
(12-21-2017 09:47 PM)Purojannu Wrote:  I watched the 1990 Vancouver race on YouTube and noticed that the track was then quite different from Pavel's excellent 93 and 95 versions. So that's also one track we don't yet have. Vancouver 98 was also slightly different from that BoblogSan's also great 99 version. Then there are some Long Beach versions lacking too, and the Papyrus Detroit is not very accurate either. Toronto is better although not perfect.

Anyway, it's great that there's still someone planning to make new tracks for a very old game.
Oh, to be true my Vancouver tracks are also wrong. They were one of my first tracks and I based them on Papy versions. They need to be rebuild, like Long Beach, Detroit, and Toronto Grin3
Look fwd to them Wink2
06-29-2018, 08:00 AM
I would love a copy of the Detroit downtown track!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2019, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2019 02:43 AM by samsepi0l.)
(12-18-2017 07:34 PM)Tjerk Wrote:  Maybe this will help a bit to understand the workflow of the sandbox:

Step 1: SGE.exe -> Uses the SG file - Create the layout of the track by making a centerline and changing the elevation of the track.
Step 2: SFE.exe -> Uses the SG file - Create the actual track by adding surfaces and walls.
Step 3: Rinse and repeat. You can use both SFE.exe and SGE.exe repeatedly to fine tune the layout and surfaces.
Step 4: Build the TRK from the SG using SG2TRK and the 3D file from the TRK file using TRK23D.
Step 5: OPE.exe -> Uses the newly created TRK and 3D files - Add extra visuals like skid marks and track side objects
Step 6: Build the 3DO file from the TRK and 3D file. The game uses only the TRK and 3DO file. The TRK file defines the physics part of the track and is completely seperate from the 3DO file, which defines the visuals. That means both the SG file and the 3D file are only used by the Sandbox to edit the track and are not used by the game itself.

So, after waiting a while I finally tried this again.

For starters, I copied an existing track from my ICR2 directory to the windows desktop (I am using a dual boot windows 7 and linux)

This track was the converted darlington (not like it matters right?)

I opened sandbox and clicked the TRKSG button. It created an SG. The problem I was having was the "track name" was set to "NEW" and I should have turned it to DARLINGT. Once I did that I opened it in SGE and I could see the strangely shaped oval. I was making progress. I played here a bit without actually changing anything or saving anything. I then opened it in SFE and I could see the areas around the track. I didn't really save anything either. From here I used the "SG 2 TRK" button and the "TRK 2 3D". I believe I have the correct 3D and TRK files (see screenshot) but for some reason when I click the OPE button, I get a dosbox window for a brief second but it dosen't actually launch a program (it seems) I just get kicked out......

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1517]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-01-2019, 02:53 AM
Can you post your command line, with you start OPE?

An idea. Do you have DOS4GW.EXE in your folder?
03-01-2019, 03:27 AM
(03-01-2019 02:53 AM)Dennis Wrote:  Can you post your command line, with you start OPE?

An idea. Do you have DOS4GW.EXE in your folder?

I'm using sandbox here, so it automatically does the command line for me. I have not done anything with DOS4GW.EXE. About a year ago I tried to use DOS4GW.EXE to get my ICR2 game running faster in dosbox, and it caused problems. I haven't tried it since.

I will try and post a video of what's going on.
03-01-2019, 04:56 AM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jkrgq1...IrnDQV-ZgP

Watch here... click link
03-01-2019, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2019 06:31 AM by Eddie500.)
From the picture you did not create a .3do yet, the creation date must be newer than the 3D or OPE will not handle it. If you create one, the one we see here will be overwriten (objects lost mainly). I would include Dos4gw.exe in the folder also just in case. Hope this helps.
03-01-2019, 01:44 PM
(03-01-2019 06:30 AM)Eddie500 Wrote:  From the picture you did not create a .3do yet, the creation date must be newer than the 3D or OPE will not handle it. If you create one, the one we see here will be overwriten (objects lost mainly).

Wait a minute, I thought creating the 3DO was step 6? I am stuck on step 5....

Quote:Maybe this will help a bit to understand the workflow of the sandbox:

Step 1: SGE.exe -> Uses the SG file - Create the layout of the track by making a centerline and changing the elevation of the track.
Step 2: SFE.exe -> Uses the SG file - Create the actual track by adding surfaces and walls.
Step 3: Rinse and repeat. You can use both SFE.exe and SGE.exe repeatedly to fine tune the layout and surfaces.
Step 4: Build the TRK from the SG using SG2TRK and the 3D file from the TRK file using TRK23D.
Step 5: OPE.exe -> Uses the newly created TRK and 3D files - Add extra visuals like skid marks and track side objects
Step 6: Build the 3DO file from the TRK and 3D file. The game uses only the TRK and 3DO file. The TRK file defines the physics part of the track and is completely seperate from the 3DO file, which defines the visuals. That means both the SG file and the 3D file are only used by the Sandbox to edit the track and are not used by the game itself.