Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Rio Oval basic layout by Wolf_pd
(04-18-2020, 12:17 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote: As far as I can tell, skid marks are a purely graphical feature and are drawn - painstakingly - one at a time. Unless Pavel has another approach to this! I skipped this step on Caesars because I thought it would take forever with minimal value to my learning.

I could be having a foggy-40's moment but I could swear I read somewhere that you can use RACE.LP to "magically" generate them for you.... don't put a lot of faith in my memory though... I think I read that somewhere in one of the tutorials or track-editing documents online.
(04-18-2020, 10:06 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: Oh wow, I thought I was slow because I drive with keyboard. Now I know it's just because of the lack of skill, haha! Very impressive lap time - I will see how I do with your setup!

I managed a 170.883 mph/39.840s on keyboard with Dennis's setup. That's probably 7 mph faster than my previous best! Did the CART cars really go 220 mph down the straightaways? That seems scary.
Scary? What about the 235 mph on the Baku street circuit with a 2016 F1 car?

Have you already read the cartstrat book? There are very useful things for understanding car setups.
(04-18-2020, 03:58 PM)Dennis Wrote: Scary? What about the 235 mph on the Baku street circuit with a 2016 F1 car?

Have you already read the cartstrat book? There are very useful things for understanding car setups.

I haven't - where is that book?
(04-19-2020, 01:42 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 03:58 PM)Dennis Wrote: Scary? What about the 235 mph on the Baku street circuit with a 2016 F1 car?

I haven't - where is that book?

https://www.icr2.net/forum/showthread.ph...tegy+guide
I managed a 172.9 with Dennis's setup.

[Image: 43YrmhC.png]

I noticed there are a few extra grand stands on the newer version of the track, I was looking on youtube for more video's on years I maybe had not seen. It looks like CART only went there from 1996 to 2000. Was there a race later where they added grandstands to the back stretch between 1 and 4? I thought this was inside the old formula 1 circuit and it did not have grand stands back there. I did see the added bridge at the exit of T4 in 1997. Here is the best video I can find with a clean lap of video: https://youtu.be/KQrAcOYo2YY?t=2154
(04-19-2020, 07:57 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: I managed a 172.9 with Dennis's setup.

I noticed there are a few extra grand stands on the newer version of the track, I was looking on youtube for more video's on years I maybe had not seen. It looks like CART only went there from 1996 to 2000. Was there a race later where they added grandstands to the back stretch between 1 and 4? I thought this was inside the old formula 1 circuit and it did not have grand stands back there. I did see the added bridge at the exit of T4 in 1997. Here is the best video I can find with a clean lap of video: https://youtu.be/KQrAcOYo2YY?t=2154

My build is based entirely on 1996. I thought that year made sense because it’s the closest to 1995 which the game is based on, and because it is easier without the extended pit warm up lane that they built subsequently. I believe some of the structures from 1996 may have been temporary. I also don’t like the idea of mixing things from different years, I like having a faithful representation of a moment in time.
(04-19-2020, 10:15 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: My build is based entirely on 1996. I thought that year made sense because it’s the closest to 1995 which the game is based on, and because it is easier without the extended pit warm up lane that they built subsequently. I believe some of the structures from 1996 may have been temporary. I also don’t like the idea of mixing things from different years, I like having a faithful representation of a moment in time.

You know what- you are absolutely right. I never noticed this stuff when I watched the races, and I was so set that there wasn't much on the back stretch. I must really be getting old because I miss stuff like this now.
Honestly I remember so little details about this track that I had to learn all these things from watching YouTube. I've spent a lot of time on the '96 race so far, but I did switch over to the other years to look for more detail, which is when I realized they obviously kept upgrading the facilities. Real shame that everything is gone now.
New version of Rio, now with:

- Buildings next to pit lane
- Start/finish stand
- Horizon (not 100% happy with the pixelation but it'll work for now)
- Added an advertising banner to the bridge

Edit: Removed attachment

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Does it have AI at this point?