Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Rio Oval basic layout by Wolf_pd
(04-16-2020, 04:33 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: Is this how it would've been designed on the real track, or would banking have started before the corner? And would the banking get to the maximum of 2.8 degrees and then start leveling out right away? Or should the turn be at maximum banking for longer?

That's a good question- if it were me I would reference some of the other short ovals maybe turn-1 in phoenix and see how it is there.

Even if you do it differently, I do not think there is as much risk for the following reasons:

1- T1 and T4 are basically "road course" turns. We're doing 200+ entering here, and braking to probably about 100.
2- It's not like there is a ton of banking, I think 2.8 would be a perfect amount to go with.

The only value I see in putting the banking in slightly beforehand would be to better learn the "oval making process" which may come in handy in the future.
On the bottom graph you can set the inflexion point. Move it more to the beginning and to the end of the corner, so the banking goes up faster.
You can also add additional sections at the beginning and the end of the corner, so you can set, where you get the full banking.

If the elevation change is too heavy on the outside line, you can also make the inside line in the corner a little lower than the straights, so you have less elevation change. If I look on the original videos, I think, that would be closer to reality.
Here's the latest version with the slightly banked T1 and T4 - almost imperceptible banking but it appears to give me about 2 mph extra lap speed.

Other change: Moved start/finish line farther down the main straightaway. Widened T3.

Edit: removing old version of the file
Great- if you get some brake markers in there I will go in an try to develop a setup, and LPs as well as go over the track.txt with a fine-tooth-comb. This way if we have a set track geometry nothing will really change from a physics point of view and I can assist without the "finishing" trackside objects.

One suggestion is to maybe start with a higher brake-marker number (since the braking is harder here than anywhere else)... maybe 5,4,3,2,1 instead of just 3,2,1...
Let me prioritize brake markers next. I believe the real world markers count 400-300-200-100 heading towards T1 and 300-200-100 going into T4.

Nothing else should be changing with the track geometry from here, unless someone has significant feedback that we need to address.
Another new version - this one adds brake markers and fixes the starting pit position.

One small bug is that the fence posts are always drawn in front of brake markers even though the brake markers are in the air above the track. At the incredible speeds that you will be approaching the braking zone, I don't think you will notice, so I will leave them alone for now.

@samsepi0l please let me know how the driving feels for you.

Edit: removed attachment - refer to newer version
(04-16-2020, 12:07 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote: Another new version - this one adds brake markers and fixes the starting pit position.

One small bug is that the fence posts are always drawn in front of brake markers even though the brake markers are in the air above the track. At the incredible speeds that you will be approaching the braking zone, I don't think you will notice, so I will leave them alone for now.

@samsepi0l please let me know how the driving feels for you.
I think the banking you added is perfect. It is so slight you almost can't tell. Very realistic.

The default setup was way off- I spent so much time changing it. I am honestly really surprised this is a DIFFICULT track to master. I have issues running 1 and 4 with such low downforce. My best lap was 169.05mph. The track does not wear heavy on the tires so I switched both on the right side to soft. I took a little wing out (both front and rear) and adjusted the gearing so I can run 3rd in turns 1 and 4. I will need to make 6th taller because the engine is running too hot (even short shifting) I'm not sure how I want to go with tire pressures yet- normally I run 33 or 32 psi on road courses- but this would slow me down on these straights.

I can say it is pleasantly challenging! Much more difficult than I anticipated (in a good way!)

I am braking for 1 and 4 slightly after the 100 mark.

I see the issue with the brake markers, maybe it would work better to put them at the top of the wall, instead of on the fence? Little details like that can be different if it works better.

I will definitely need to make LPs.. but I need to get smoother/faster myself first. I'm sure it will be easier to reference my position once we get more trackside objects. It was tricky getting out of 1 and 4 fast (or I spun) because there aren't many references yet.
(04-15-2020, 09:39 PM)CowtownBob Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 03:59 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: I know from watching a lot of CART when the drivers name the corners they name them entrance/exit 1/2 and such (I still don't understand this to this day)

On ovals that appear to have only 2 180° turns, there are technically 4 90° turns, so 1/2 is at one end of the track and 3/4 is at the other. And the exit of turn 1 IS the entrance of turn 2, even though that point is at the apex of the physical curve. Don't try to find logic in it, you'll hurt your head; it's just one of those perverse American things that we do to make us different from everyone else.
As the corners are so long, it's probably easier to describe it as 1/2 if there is a crash, especially to a driver on radio so they know where abouts it is
Updated the track with more trackside objects: billboards and more grandstands.

Edit: removed attachment - refer to latest
Thanks for the great work everybody;

checkpoint10, do you plan adding the bridge on the backstretch?