Detroit downtown circuit (WIP thread)
This I can help with!
I agree measure the width of the cars on screen and simply do the math.

I will help you make the .TXT file and .LP files for this track and any other support I can provide.

When I was a kid, I had this book which I recently re-bought because I knew it had an excellent schematic showing dimensions and details.  I never understood any of this stuff when I was 15 but know that I'm an engineer I do!

Data shows 78.5 inches.

[Image: zaUkCl0.jpg]
[Image: HCfdYQy.jpg]
(05-30-2021, 02:26 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: Data shows 78.5 inches.
I measured with the front tyres, so it would be 88 inches.
(05-30-2021, 03:10 PM)Dennis Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 02:26 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: Data shows 78.5 inches.
I measured with the front tyres, so it would be 88 inches.

Thanks samsepi0l and Dennis. I checked the book "Technology of the Champ Car" which says "the maximum permissible width is 78.5 in . . . but that is only over the rear wheels. The bodywork and aerodynamic devices forward of the rear wheels must not be wider than 63 in." So Dennis I think we would use 78.5 in if you measured including the wheels.

samsepi0l - I believe your book is "Anatomy & Development of the Indy Car" - I have it too - bought it way back when I was in middle school and didn't understand most of the technical stuff either, but enjoyed the photos.
Just a quick progress update.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1787]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-31-2021, 06:01 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: I believe your book is "Anatomy & Development of the Indy Car" - I have it too

Yes!- you would not imagine how many times I read it when I was a kid, after I had a rough time at a track trying to get my setup right (trying to learn secrets! haha)

(05-31-2021, 06:55 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: Just a quick progress update.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1787]

I had a hotel room right near the very bottom left corner of that photo way back in 2009, the last time I was in Detroit.
Continuing to use my new tool to convert from real-world coordinates to Papy coordinates. Very happy to report that all these buildings fell into the right place with no trial & error and no adjustments needed!

By the way, the SG/TRK was the result of carefully measuring Google Earth and scaling the PCX in SGE.INI, so it is nice to see that it correlates well with my building placing technique. It also shows the strength of the Papy track format that, by applying some precise techniques, you can get something almost perfectly in scale.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1789]

We need a like button.
IIRS Driver Champion (2005-2007, 2010-2014)
IIRS Team Champion (2004-2014)
(06-02-2021, 09:14 PM)Wolf_pd Wrote: We need a like button.
I'd give that a thumbs up if I could.
Appreciate the encouragement so far. I have continued to work on the buildings. The harder ones are coming up: the large building on the downtown side that the track passes through, and of course the tunnel at the bottom of the circuit.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1790]

Thumbsup Thumbsup