Forums

Full Version: Nashville Street Circuit (WIP thread)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
So I've tested this track. I didi some laps in game and studied sg file. I don't see any potential problems for AI at chicane, lp should work there. Even if Trafo generates corrupted line there then it can be manually restorted. Nigel Pattinson's AI tools will be helpful.

But I don't like current track layout. It's not suite for ICR2. Those narrow sections will be nightmare during pace laps. I feel that it should be better try not to follow real map there. We can try keep general track layout but make those narrow track sections (T7-T11) wider and corners bit faster. It's like scale up this whole section. Section became faster but because it length will increase too then this will compensate overall lap time.
(08-30-2021, 03:52 PM)Pavel 69 Wrote: [ -> ]So I've tested this track. I didi some laps in game and studied sg file. I don't see any potential problems for AI at chicane, lp should work there. Even if Trafo generates corrupted line there then it can be manually restorted. Nigel Pattinson's AI tools will be helpful.

But I don't like current track layout. It's not suite for ICR2. Those narrow sections will be nightmare during pace laps. I feel that it should be better try not to follow real map there. We can try keep general track layout but make those narrow track sections (T7-T11) wider and corners bit faster. It's like scale up this whole section. Section became faster but because it length will increase too then this will compensate overall lap time.

Thank you for looking at this. Please confirm you are talking about the sections that were renumbered T4-T8 before the race (the super narrow corners on the downtown side). If we want to make that part bigger, I could go back and even try to do those corners the "normal way" with the centerline closer to the track. What is more problematic - the width of the track (I think it's ~30 ft in some places?) or the small radius corners? Or both? Do I need to open up the radius on T8 (the last turn going back onto the bridge)?

As long as I can keep the overall "feel" of that section being tight and narrow, I think nobody will be able to tell if it's been scaled up slightly. I've mentioned before that Papyrus had me fooled for 20 years on how they did Cleveland.
Yes, I was talking about this narrow downtown section. Problem is, as I see - narrow straights connected with sharp turns. I'm sure we need to increase radius of turns. But to keep feel of the track straight should be bit wider and longer too. So overall whole track there should be bit bigger.

Narrowest track I ever did was Meadowlands, I think. It also has some narrow parts. But there are no such sharp turns. I remember before continuing with objects I did extencive AI tests to be sure it will work there.
Attached is a new version of Nashville - I tried to make the back section bigger, wider, and smoother. Hoping it's enough to minimize problems for the AI.

By the way, I also decided to tighten the last turn going onto the finish line in front of the stadium. I thought it was previously too fast. However, by doing this, the pit lane turn is really tight, so I'd like to get some feedback on that too.

EDIT: There is a newer version of this track - please check latest post.
Thanks, I will test it later.
You can try to make turn tighter by moving the walls. I used this method at last turn of my Laguna tracks.
I made some AI, with the help of a Python script calculating the centerline and min/max lines using the wall DLATs and having them cruise around at 100 mph. It's just temporary to see how the cars might move during the pace lap, around the trickier parts, and to test TV angles. But I really enjoyed this sight of the cars going over the bridge - and disappearing over the crest!

Great TV angles! Now you need little more objects around to make view more 'alive' Smiley
New version of Nashville. Keep in mind this is almost a complete rebuild over the one I released before the actual race, so there are still things missing like trackside objects. This release focuses on putting in all the wall adverts and brake markers (Edit: the brake markers on the far side of the bridge are off position due to a recent SG change), and minimal trackside objects, but it should be nicely drivable. Please stay in the preseason mode because the AI might not be functional.

I would like to get feedback on the following:

- I made further edits to the SG to tighten up the "narrow" section while trying to keep the width and corner radii similar. In the previous version, it felt a little too long compared to the real world. I think I finally got it so that it "feels" like the real thing but it's not overly narrow (still not less than 34' wide)

- In the recent versions, Pavel was still optimistic about the AI going through the first chicane, but even I (as a human) find it very challenging and probably a single file chicane to get through. If anyone can try to make the AI go through it, even single file, I'd appreciate seeing that.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1874]

Edit: I updated the track including SG but hopefully it doesn't affect anyone since it was still on 0 downloads. Also added video.

Edit 2: Please check latest post for the updated track.
(09-04-2021, 05:36 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ]I made some AI, with the help of a Python script calculating the centerline and min/max lines using the wall DLATs and having them cruise around at 100 mph. It's just temporary to see how the cars might move during the pace lap, around the trickier parts, and to test TV angles. But I really enjoyed this sight of the cars going over the bridge - and disappearing over the crest!

Nashville under yellow in Indy 3-wide style?
I will test this new version later this evening. Thank you for update!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30