Forums

Full Version: Nashville Street Circuit (WIP thread)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
(10-27-2021, 12:14 AM)jaeger Wrote: [ -> ]I did more than 50 laps today occasionally taking different lines,getting close to the walls around the pit exit and the first chicane.So far no warping issues.

That is good to hear. Thank you for testing it.
I got the warping bug/game crashing again! It was under braking for the chicane on the racing track (i.e. not the pits). Definitely there is something wrong with my Section 1, 2 or 3 but too bad the problem is not easily reproducible.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1959]
(07-29-2021, 04:09 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-29-2021, 01:59 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: [ -> ]Dude I am so jealous you have no idea..... Funny thing is right now as I sit here and drink my coffee, I probably know the track better than the real drivers only because I had to learn it good enough to make the AI hahahaha!

I'd say you get a big part of his shout out, because he was probably referring to a video I had posted recently that featured your AI racing.

It's funny, I would've expected a version of Nashville for a newer sim by now, or a more professional simulated "preview" from the race promoter, but I haven't seen anything yet in public.

(10-28-2021, 06:56 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ]I got the warping bug/game crashing again! It was under braking for the chicane on the racing track (i.e. not the pits). Definitely there is something wrong with my Section 1, 2 or 3 but too bad the problem is not easily reproducible.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1959]

This never used to happen with the previous configuration, I wonder if you change it slightly (even maybe tighter again) it may go away.  We are treading in uncharted waters with this kind of track design so this seems like part of the learning curve.  I want to make more improved AI but I don't know if we have enough of the bugs worked out.

Maybe a suggestion - go back to the very previous config, this is the one we thought was too tight... make an ajustment again to make it slightly looser- chances are you will not be able to recreate the exact same geometry which caused this problem, so maybe it will be OK?

like you said we can't get the root cause, so maybe we can get lucky?
I agree let's not commit to more AI until we are comfortable that the chicane is pretty much 100% working. It's not like we have pressure from anyone to rush this product out. ;-)

I'm trying to think through what could have increased the risk of crashing. Here are the two unconventional things I can think of in that area:

1) To round off the corners, I added two short sections at the entrance and exit, respectively. Maybe the game doesn't like super short sections?
2) Track surface is concrete-asphalt-grass-asphalt in the pitlane instead of just asphalt. Maybe too many different track surfaces?

I can make a version that essentially paves over the pitlane island and simplifies the chicane corners, but keep the wider width and angle.
(10-28-2021, 09:05 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree let's not commit to more AI until we are comfortable that the chicane is pretty much 100% working. It's not like we have pressure from anyone to rush this product out. ;-)

I'm trying to think through what could have increased the risk of crashing. Here are the two unconventional things I can think of in that area:

1) To round off the corners, I added two short sections at the entrance and exit, respectively. Maybe the game doesn't like super short sections?
2) Track surface is concrete-asphalt-grass-asphalt in the pitlane instead of just asphalt. Maybe too many different track surfaces?

I can make a version that essentially paves over the pitlane island and simplifies the chicane corners, but keep the wider width and angle.
I don't think, it's the second one, because the max number of surfaces is well defined. But Pavel69 said earlier, that gaps between surfaces can cause a problem.
To the first one. I have also a problem point on my track, where warping can happen. It's a place, where I removed a chicane and had difficulties with connecting the track sections in SGE. The connection isn't perfect and the section is very short, and it's also visible in the game.
(10-28-2021, 02:44 PM)Dennis Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think, it's the second one, because the max number of surfaces is well defined. But Pavel69 said earlier, that gaps between surfaces can cause a problem.
To the first one. I have also a problem point on my track, where warping can happen. It's a place, where I removed a chicane and had difficulties with connecting the track sections in SGE. The connection isn't perfect and the section is very short, and it's also visible in the game.

I analyzed my track using my SG2CSV tool and identified two gaps in the walls that I closed in SFE and then rebuilt the track. The gaps were however further down the track away from the place where the game typically crashes (the closest is between Section 9 and 10, while the game typically crashes towards the second part of Section 1).

I started a race and in the first time on the approach to the chicane I hit another car and spun out, triggering a game crash. Actually happy this happened because while I did not get warped, my game froze at the spot where the crash occurred, so it helps narrow down where the problem may be.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1960]

Edit: Never mind, I need to keep testing because I forgot to copy over the new .TRK file to my game track folder. Of course it would still crash with the old .TRK file!
New version of Nashville. The only difference is fixing gaps in walls (possible source of previous game crashes) and adding more trees.

I ran about 23 laps with AI, include a pit stop, and the game did not crash.
After running almost 50 laps in the last couple days, I encountered the game crashing bug again near the pit exit. So, we go to the next step which is to remove the grass from the pit island and thus simplifying the fsects. From the cockpit you won't see a difference.

So here is the new version which also includes trees in the pitlane island, although I did not have time to implement Pavel's advice yet.

Please let me know if your game crashes with this version of the track!
I noticed there is an issue with the track and qualifying - the AI seems to start in random places around the track, and within a couple frames the game will crash. No such problems with AI during the practice, warmup and race sessions. No idea what the problem might be!

Edit: Looking closer to the starting position of the AI at the very beginning of qualifying, I suspect that each AI starts close to the centerline, maybe DLAT 0, which of course places them outside the track boundaries.
Quote:Looking closer to the starting position of the AI at the very beginning of qualifying, I suspect that each AI starts close to the centerline, maybe DLAT 0, which of course places them outside the track boundaries.

This could be bad. Do you have all of the LPs done?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29