Forums

Full Version: Nashville Street Circuit (WIP thread)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
@samsepi0l - Thank you! I was able to make a race.rpy using this run, no issues getting AI to go through chicane and anywhere else. I will still need your "professional" skills for the other LPs to make the AI race better.

Question - is MAXPANIC supposed to drive through the pit lane? Just noticed that's what the tutorial recommends. At the moment, I have MAXPANIC keeping outside the pit lane.
Quote:@samsepi0l - Thank you! I was able to make a race.rpy using this run, no issues getting AI to go through chicane and anywhere else. I will still need your "professional" skills for the other LPs to make the AI race better.

I will be glad to help.  I am hoping we can have this completed in a few days. I want to add this to my 1985 season, and do a 100% length race to test it.

Quote:Question - is MAXPANIC supposed to drive through the pit lane? Just noticed that's what the tutorial recommends. At the moment, I have MAXPANIC keeping outside the pit lane.

That's a good question- I've done it both ways but I think the original tracks from papy have the PANIC lines drawn as including the pitlane.  We still will need to do maxrace on the racing surface itself, so we will need data on both ways.

Now- here is a thought provoking statement:  If we have maxpanic on the left side of the track, and we do NOT include the pitlane, how will cars be able to enter the pits?  They can't cross maxpanic right?  The answer to this is the 11th value in the TRACK.TXT PIT line.  See my post from Caesars- I think this tells the game where it can ignore the panic lines, and use the PIT.LP.

Speaking of maxrace- maxrace (and minrace) will need to be relatively smooth, granted they will be a very much reduced speed compared to race.lp, since the line will be so "odd".  It would be sweet to be able to pull the positions from fsections (even know driving and creating a maxrace isn't hard).  Obviously we want it to be as fast as possible that we can still be smooth without being ridiculously slow.  Normally what I do to get a good baseline, is I take the maxrace/minrace positions from my replay, and then I get the speeds from race.lp- but I multiply them by a fraction coefficient.
(10-22-2021, 12:01 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the latest version of Nashville with the wider chicane.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1939]
 There is heavy warping around the first chicane,happened two times,spinning crazy,I've ended up in the grassy infield both times.

The first happened after completing the out lap and as I was about to steer into the chicane,the second happened just at the exit of the pits..
Quote:There is heavy warping around the first chicane,happened two times,spinning crazy,I've ended up in the grassy infield both times.

The first happened after completing the out lap and as I was about to steer into the chicane,the second happened just at the exit of the pits..

This is all one piece of track. The game see's the pits and the front straight as the same piece of road, only with a divider in the middle.

I didn't see any warping in any of my tests at any versions of nashville, but it does randomly happen sometimes at all tracks (including the original default papyrus tracks) so I wouldn't get too upset without a consistent repeated problem that can be recreated.

I find that some tracks have a very small opening in the wall that you can't see... if somehow the car gets stuck there, it will spin off. This is a very rare occurrence though.
(10-23-2021, 07:12 AM)jaeger Wrote: [ -> ] There is heavy warping around the first chicane,happened two times,spinning crazy,I've ended up in the grassy infield both times.

Thanks for reporting this. Unfortunately I also have never seen this problem so I don't know where to look. Did you make contact with the wall or were you close to the wall at any point? Are you playing with the original or patched version of ICR2?

To @samsepi0l's point I may also do a quality check to ensure that there are no gaps between walls.
I just woke up from a nap after work- do you have your LP created from my replay? I have a few hours to work on the game tonight. Anything you have would be helpful (panic files from fsections maybe....)
I did some more work on the LP files, and also I experienced the warp for the first time, during a race approaching the chicane. I really don't know why it happened, but as a precaution I recopied the .trk file from my working folder to the game folder, in case it was because I had accidentally left in an earlier version of the .trk.

Here is the latest track. I did a test of this track with 31 opponents and I got through 3 laps without any major problems, in fact I actually had a little fun racing with the AI. The other difference in this version is that I made some changes to the pace lap starting position.

@samsepi0l - I have also attached in a separate zip the latest LP and CSV files. Note:

- I think MINPANIC and MAXPANIC are fine, I haven't seen any issues that seem to relate to these files. 
- MAXRACE and MINRACE are the exact same files as MINPANIC and MAXPANIC.
- PASS1 and PASS2 might need a little work, I decided for those files that I would try not to allow the AI to pass in the chicane, because once they commit to a weird line, then they tend to bounce around.
- RACE may need a little optimizing but the AI can actually go 1:15 in clear air which is already faster than what I can manage.
With the new changes to the chicane, did you ever try and use the original trafo? I'm curious if it would extract the data from the replays.

EDIT: I see I can get good position data, but not speed data. Every single rip of the replay laps I did has bad speed data with trafo, but however about 70% of the laps seem to have good position data which is a surprise.
(10-23-2021, 02:19 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: [ -> ]With the new changes to the chicane, did you ever try and use the original trafo? I'm curious if it would extract the data from the replays.

I didn't... I'm a little embarrassed to say I never quite figured out TRAFO. I wonder if it would though, the chicane is still pretty extreme in how much DLAT change there is.
(10-23-2021, 02:41 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2021, 02:19 PM)samsepi0l Wrote: [ -> ]With the new changes to the chicane, did you ever try and use the original trafo?  I'm curious if it would extract the data from the replays.

I didn't... I'm a little embarrassed to say I never quite figured out TRAFO. I wonder if it would though, the chicane is still pretty extreme in how much DLAT change there is.

see above- I managed to get good position data.

There is so much going on here, that I need to slow down and approach this as logical and simple as possible. Sometimes when I have something that isn't right I just need to get a super clear head and focus on the problem, breaking it down to simpler, smaller problems.

I think first things first, I need to make a spreadsheet with the position data I am getting- and I need to find a way to get relevant speed data transformed by the dennis formula.

Can you send me the output of your replay2csv converter so I can get speed data? I'm sure you have a SG2CSV sitting around also, that will be handy as I need it for the dennis formula.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29