Forums

Full Version: Nashville Street Circuit (WIP thread)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
(07-29-2021, 04:09 PM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I can look into making a tool that extracts information from replay files. I am hoping it won't be too hard since people already figured this out many years ago. Do you have some examples of RPY files and the corresponding text file you got from TRAFO, to help figure out how to get from one format to the other?

I decided to move to working on the LPs for tamiami since I hope I won't run into the same problem so I should have some good info for you shortly.

With nashville I tried to slow down to 10-15mph when I would take the chicane. I even reduced the steering lock to 7 degrees so the side to side travel would be as small as possible. It still will not record any useful data from the chicane forward to about the 80 percent spot in the lap. If I come out of the pits it records fine as long as I take it easy for the lap and just focus on a slow clean line.

I did look at the race.rpy that I posted with a hex editor. It seems to have a 33 byte repeating pattern, but then every now and then it has an extra byte. I'm wondering if thats the lap marker. I use "hexed.it" online and there was no way to set it to repeat every 33 bytes per line. They only offer multiples of 2.
(10-14-2021, 07:37 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: [ -> ]With nashville I tried to slow down to 10-15mph when I would take the chicane.  I even reduced the steering lock to 7 degrees so the side to side travel would be as small as possible.  It still will not record any useful data from the chicane forward to about the 80 percent spot in the lap.  If I come out of the pits it records fine as long as I take it easy for the lap and just focus on a slow clean line.
That sounds bad.

What about this? I don't know this tool.
(08-30-2021, 03:52 PM)Pavel 69 Wrote: [ -> ]So I've tested this track. I didi some laps in game and studied sg file. I don't see any potential problems for AI at chicane, lp should work there. Even if Trafo generates corrupted line there then it can be manually restorted. Nigel Pattinson's AI tools will be helpful.
(08-30-2021, 03:52 PM)Pavel 69 Wrote: [ -> ]So I've tested this track. I didi some laps in game and studied sg file. I don't see any potential problems for AI at chicane, lp should work there. Even if Trafo generates corrupted line there then it can be manually restorted. Nigel Pattinson's AI tools will be helpful.

I saw that reading today, and unless I misread- I think it is a tool to make AI for N3, not in icr2. Maybe I am wrong.

What we need to do is develop a newer tool to pull location and speed from rpy files. Trafo is too limiting for using the track editor to make use of tight chicanes and track "lane changes" that tight...
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing
AI Edit by Nigel Pattinson is a very good tool to work with lp files. Originally it was design for Grand Prix Legends. But it supports older papy games too.
To open track fom ICR2 in AIEdit you have too extract tk file from track.dat and place it in track folder. Track folder and trk file should have same name (by default). In program select trk fie to open. Then you can add all other lp's to the workspace. There is readme inside wherer you can find basic info about program. GPL lp files have more columns and use flags so you can skip this information in this document.
And don't forget to make backups Wink2
(10-14-2021, 11:41 PM)Pavel 69 Wrote: [ -> ]AI Edit by Nigel Pattinson is a very good tool to work with lp files. Originally it was design for Grand Prix Legends. But it supports older papy games too.
To open track fom ICR2 in AIEdit you have too extract tk file from track.dat and place it in track folder. Track folder and trk file should have same name (by default). In program select trk fie to open. Then you can add all other lp's to the workspace. There is readme inside wherer you can find basic info about program. GPL lp files have more columns and use flags so you can skip this information in this document.
And don't forget to make backups Wink2

Thank you Pavel:  I have the PDF open right now.... here is what this says

2. Preparations before using AiEdit
2.1 Replays
Before starting with AiEdit we still need some reference laps in replay format (.rpy) and the program Rpy2lp to create the
necessary base .lp files.
We need to have a raceline replay which gives us the lateral position of the ai car along the track.
So first of all drive a lap around the circuit and try to follow a realistic driving line. The speed will be generated by AiEdit so it
doesn’t have to be an alien lap (drive as slow as you need in order to get a proper line) In case of a repair of faulty ai use the
already made groove if it has a realistic line. It doesn’t have to be a super smooth line (you can iron out most faults with
AiEdit) but abrupt changes give you more work than necessary =)
Second we need a pit raceline replay which gives us the lateral position of the ai car along the track.
I always drive a lap through the pitlane. Make a full lap and drive through the pitlane again. When approaching the pit make
sure you position the car on the side of the track. This is to make sure other cars are able to pass when the ai car goes into or
out of pitmode (slowing down or accelerating out of pits) If you are not certain at which point you want to have the cars move
out of the racing line it’s best to extend the sections at which you want to start pitmode. E.g. move out of racing line earlier
before pits and stay longer of racing line out of pits (the trigger for this is based in the track.ini file and will be explained
further on)
Note: make the replay a bit longer than the actual lap. So start saving well before start/finish (or pits) and end saving well
after T1 (or pits)
In case of repairing faulty .lp files first delete the present .lp files (or back them up if you need) They are not always the correct
length and can cause unnecessary errors.
Before firing up Rpy2lp it is necessary to investigate the track.ini for possible errors.
I will explain the parameters within the Track.ini first so it is easier to spot errors.

I haven't tried this yet, but I assume the RPY2LP is inside of the AIEDIT.exe you have in your zip file?  (I only see the PDF and AIEDIT.exe in the zip)
Trafo is the thing to fine tune laps, when not tweaking an ingame track you just need to previously drop all your custom files in one of the stock tracks folders.
(10-15-2021, 04:40 AM)Eddie500 Wrote: [ -> ]Trafo is the thing to fine tune laps, when not tweaking an ingame track you just need to previously drop all your custom files in one of the stock tracks folders.

I just use option "Q" and type in "Nash" and it knows how to edit nashville...

The problem here is that the chicane is not really a corner in the sense of a traditional SG file. Checkpoint10 created the Chicane by almost making a 'lane change' on a straight section with SFE. There is too much lateral movement in a small section, and as a result trafo is having difficulty pulling out the position data from the replay. In stead of giving real replay position is just reports back nonsense data.
(10-15-2021, 04:29 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't tried this yet, but I assume the RPY2LP is inside of the AIEDIT.exe you have in your zip file?  (I only see the PDF and AIEDIT.exe in the zip)
No-no. As I said this tool was made pimary for GPL. It can generate all speed values only for gpl cars. For older papy sims you can only edit files. What you quoted is related only for GPL, I think. For GPL we take replay, generate lp from it, take only racing line from lp and base on this line AIEdit can generate all speed values. So for GPL is not important to have fast laps in replay.

ICR2, Nascar 1, Nascar2/99 use RPY replay format. Nascar3/Legends, GPL use RPL frormat. To generate lp from RPY you have to use Trafo program. To generate lp from RPL you need nee Nigel's Rpy2Lp program. I've added it to the link above.
Rpy2Lp calculate number of lp records by itself. But this number in some cases not work in icr2.
If it's impossible to use Trafo for ICR2 then another way could be making basic track in N3 format and then record replay in N3 and try Rpy2Lp to generate lp. But I think it should be easier to fix bad icr2 lp in AIEdit.
Quote:If it's impossible to use Trafo for ICR2 then another way could be making basic track in N3 format and then record replay in N3 and try Rpy2Lp to generate lp. But I think it should be easier to fix bad icr2 lp in AIEdit.

I agree, it's too much work to try and make a replay in N3 just to use trafo. (I don't even have N3)

I have gotten used to modifying the LPs inside of LP edit so I am getting quick to it. The problem here is not that the AI behaves badly, it is that trafo gives us no data at all. If it was just behaving badly I would fix that manually.

One option here is that I could record a lap through the pitlane (bypassing the chicane) and then cut and paste the data together- now this would be a major PITA, but I want to look down the road a second and think ahead.... what about trying to get a good maxrace and minrace? This will be even harder... The chicane literally has right angle surfaces that you can't hug.

I'm starting to wonder if it may have been a better idea to just keep the chicane the way it was back in the original nashville. I know it's not as accurate, but this does solve a lot of problems. With a game this old there are going to be short-comings that need to be worked around.

Pavel- I know it has been a long time, but when you built miami95, did your chicane have the same style creation where it was not a corner, rather just a lane-change in SFE, like this?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29