Forums

Full Version: Nashville Street Circuit (WIP thread)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Sorry to keep posting new versions, but this one should be more fun because I brought more buildings on the downtown side back into the track. The .SG has not changed, so I have the same questions as what I posted yesterday.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1878]
(09-12-2021, 12:33 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to keep posting new versions, but this one should be more fun because I brought more buildings on the downtown side back into the track. The .SG has not changed, so I have the same questions as what I posted yesterday.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1878]

how are you looking with respect to having enough details so that I can make a serious attempt at making good LPs? I'm sure we will need some and maybe I can help with the track.txt as well.

It will probably take me a few weeks to get theme where I want them to be since I need to get really fast here first.
(09-12-2021, 12:39 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: [ -> ]how are you looking with respect to having enough details so that I can make a serious attempt at making good LPs? I'm sure we will need some and maybe I can help with the track.txt as well.

It will probably take me a few weeks to get theme where I want them to be since I need to get really fast here first.
It's getting real close. I just need to place some more TSDs and fix the brake marker placement for the far side (as you can see in the screenshot). The next big project is probably getting the trackside billboards in - those should help give you more braking cues too. You want skid marks too? I can try to generate some.

At that point, it should be ready for a serious LP attempt. But I still plan to add a few more large buildings, suites, traffic lights, trees and whatever else to make the track more lively. But those are not as important for driving.
(09-12-2021, 01:38 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ].....I just need to place some more TSDs and fix the brake marker placement for the far side (as you can see in the screenshot). The next big project is probably getting the trackside billboards in - those should help give you more braking cues too. You want skid marks too?

Skid marks would be great. They would also be good functional learning for both you and I because if it works good maybe I can add them to Tamiami too (if it's not too hard).

Just let me know when you think you are ready. I keep thinking back to Caesars when I had already made the LPs but you kept adding whip-cream and cherries onto the top of the sundae. Grin3
(09-12-2021, 01:42 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: [ -> ]Just let me know when you think you are ready. I keep thinking back to Caesars when I had already made the LPs but you kept adding whip-cream and cherries onto the top of the sundae. Grin3
It has gotten to a point where I have to force myself not to waste time playing and admiring my own track. Which I guess is a good sign of the progress!
(09-12-2021, 01:56 AM)checkpoint10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2021, 01:42 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: [ -> ]Just let me know when you think you are ready.  I keep thinking back to Caesars when I had already made the LPs but you kept adding whip-cream and cherries onto the top of the sundae.  Grin3
It has gotten to a point where I have to force myself not to waste time playing and admiring my own track. Which I guess is a good sign of the progress!

That's how you find mistakes though. Think of it as time that could be spent on Detroit Grin3
(09-12-2021, 06:10 AM)samsepi0l Wrote: [ -> ]That's how you find mistakes though. Think of it as time that could be spent on Detroit Grin3

Ironically, Detroit turned out to be much easier than Nashville because we don't need to use any of the weird tricks just to get the geometry to be accurate. But yeah all this general experience will help speed up the process for any other track.
I don't understand why you spend all time on TSD lines and skidmarks while track layout is not finished? I think this is a waste of time. Track layout is not finished and tested well. In case of any changes you will need to redone all this lines again. So my advice before moving to TSD lines and MRK walls editing is better to close all questions with such tricky track layout.

I've tested track. To give  opinion about track at first bumps need to be smooth out at T4-8. Or are you going to left it as it is now? Also I compared real onbords with track in game and chicane near pit lane looks faster in real life than in game. I feel it need to be wider.

If you want I can try to work on sg file. But on Monday, Tuesday an Wednesday I have online races in the evening. So I'll have time only on Thursday, I think.
(09-13-2021, 04:09 PM)Pavel 69 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand why you spend all time on TSD lines and skidmarks while track layout is not finished? I think this is a waste of time. Track layout is not finished and tested well. In case of any changes you will need to redone all this lines again. So my advice before moving to TSD lines and MRK walls editing is better to close all questions with such tricky track layout.

I've tested track. To give  opinion about track at first bumps need to be smooth out at T4-8. Or are you going to left it as it is now? Also I compared real onbords with track in game and chicane near pit lane looks faster in real life than in game. I feel it need to be wider.

If you want I can try to work on sg file. But on Monday, Tuesday an Wednesday I have online races in the evening. So I'll have time only on Thursday, I think.
Yeah I know there is a risk of modifying the track, but it's been too much fun seeing the track come together so I couldn't help myself but to add the TSDs and MRKs. I am also going to have a busier schedule soon, so I've been trying to maximize the progress before I have to slow down. With the TSDs I am not keying stuff into Notepad anymore, so it should not be a big deal if I need to move entire sections up or down.

As for the tight section T4-8, I was actually okay with how it drives. The bumps didn't seem too bad considering how much elevation it is supposed to change. But if you have a way to smooth them out, I would welcome that.

For the chicane, I think the best source I've found is 1:53 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cl4YumStTg
It really seems tight in real life, but if necessary, I think I can widen it by moving the beginning or ending track section points forward and back (they are all on a straight line) and doing so should not disrupt the other parts of the circuit.

For comparison:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1882]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1883]
Posting latest version of Nashville, this one has more TSDs. I also included the SG, MRK and TSD file, and Pavel if you want I can also zip up my N3 working folder, although give me a chance to clean it up since it has a lot of junk in there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25